• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wind articulations--what about releases?

Wind articulations--what about releases?

Hey all,

Having more time to fiddle with GS since school\'s been out has brought me to this question:

Why not more attention to various releases in wind instruments?

Like many other instruments, there is an infinite number of possible attacks and releases on wind instruments. The libraries I have used (notably QLB) cover quite a few of the bases where attacks are concerned, but I think there is unexplored territory where releases, and release triggers, are concerned that could yield even greater realism.

Consider the difference between a trumpet playing \"dah\" versus \"dahT.\" Right now, to differentiate, I choose between two fairly drastically different trumpet sounds--the staccato and one of the non-staccato versions. Invariably, though, the two versions don\'t mix well, because the non-staccato has a lengthy release tail, and the staccato version has me locked into a predetermined note duration.

What if there were a sustained patch with the same attack as the \"staccato\" trumpet, but with a release trigger that would end the note with either \"T\" or \"h\", depending on the mod wheel? Combine that patch with a similar one but with a less aggressive attack, and there is some pretty great expressive potential.

I\'ll bet plenty of others have thought of this before me. This just came to mind as I was trying to get the brass to sound right on this little thing I\'m doing just for fun: Sacramentus

Whaddya think?

Re: Wind articulations--what about releases?

You\'re not the only one.

The problem is that it takes a unique perspective on sampling/programming.

*most* (not all) developers haven\'t really used all the potential expressive controls Giga has to offer.

QLB is severely underprogrammed IMO. A bit has to do with its time of release I\'m sure.

You could try doing sme editing yourself in teh library, and sample editing to make the type of patches you\'re talking about.

Re: Wind articulations--what about releases?

It\'s possible to take the staccato samples, stick them in an audio editor, shave off everything but the tail, and then use that tail as a release layer with the sustain trumpets. That way, no matter how long you hold the note, you get the hall in the note release, instead of just a quick fade of the sustained sound. It sounds twice as good IMO, but would sound better if the samples were performed with the intention of using them that way in the first place.

No question, as CPU and disk throughput goes up, we should see some more programming involving more complex articulaion without worrying about polyphony.

The problem with release samples being added \'after market\' is that you actually need to edit the samples themselves - it\'s not just a bit of envelope editing, or relayering existing folders that the end user already has in his possession. Because of this, the only people who can legally do the sample editing and sell their results are the original developers/publishers, and they\'re usually more interested in their next library, not updates to an old one whose sales may have slowed anyway. I suppose a way forward in this case would be for tweaky twitchy guys like King to approach them and suggest a partnership of sorts.

Go Back to forum