• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What sample library orchestra should i go for ?

Share/Bookmark

What sample library orchestra should i go for ?

ADVANCED ORCHESTRA EXTENDED EDITION for Halion (6GB of entire orchesta samples)...
    or
    EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition...
    (over 2GB of samples)
    or
    Garritan Personal Orchestra
    (over 2GB of samples)

i need to stay under 500$

any help ?

Re: What sample library orchestra should i go for ?

I don\'t know about you, but I would go with EWQLSO silver.

There are lots of GPO and Silver demos to listen to. You can hear the difference in sound between the 2. GPO has the upper hand in programming, but Silver gets a massive, free, programming update next week.

I just bought QLSO Silver, and am very happy with it... I also have AO, and have to say that unless it\'s price has changed drastically, it\'s not worth the price compared to the newer stuff.

You should spend some time digging through past posts here about GPO & QLSO Silver, and listening to demos. It was a tough decision for me between those two. It seems that you can\'t really go wrong chosing either of them, but there are differences... so think about what kind of music you\'ll be doing most and what kind of sound you\'re after, then start listenig to demos and reading threads.

Originally posted by D.DiAnda:
    I just bought QLSO Silver, and am very happy with it... I also have AO, and have to say that unless it\'s price has changed drastically, it\'s not worth the price compared to the newer stuff.

You should spend some time digging through past posts here about GPO & QLSO Silver, and listening to demos. It was a tough decision for me between those two. It seems that you can\'t really go wrong chosing either of them, but there are differences... so think about what kind of music you\'ll be doing most and what kind of sound you\'re after, then start listenig to demos and reading threads.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I own GPO already, and am also thinking about getting QLSO Silver to supplement it.

GPO has a warm, intimate sound. From what I understand, QLSO has a bigger, brighter, \"in-your-face\" Hollywood type of sound. Thus, GPO would be more appropriate for baroque/chamber music, whereas EWQL would work better for, say, modern film scores.

Originally posted by CadeBryant:
    GPO has a warm, intimate sound. From what I understand, QLSO has a bigger, brighter, \"in-your-face\" Hollywood type of sound. Thus, GPO would be more appropriate for baroque/chamber music, whereas EWQL would work better for, say, modern film scores.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To a first approximation, you are right. If you plan to just use sounds out of the box and not do any processing to them whatsoever, then GPO would not be your first option. There are plenty of film-score-worthy demos of GPO, but most of those rely on the \"overlay\" instruments as well as a reasonable amount of mixing and post-processing. I\'m a conservatory trained composer with a degree in audio engineering, so I\'m all about control. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.

As someone that owns all three libs you mentioned, I personally wouldn\'t bother with AO anymore.

GPO and EWQLSO at least come with their own playback engines and have much better programming to help you realise your musical ideas a lot faster.

I\'ve always thought that the AO strings were just awful too, dry and harsh.

For the price of GPO and EWQLSO Silver, buy both! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have both GPO and EWQLSO Silver (recently upgraded to Gold). I found that I was mostly using Silver since I don\'t have a degree in audio engineering. Indeed, EWQLSO sounds great out of the box, but one can still process the sound as desired.

You might want to wait to see what is in the new Silver upgrade next week before making a decision.

Also, both libraries will work using only RAM, but Silver has a disk streaming option which is also being upgraded soon.

Both are great libraries. Listen to the demos and see what fits your needs.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    As someone that owns all three libs you mentioned, I personally wouldn\'t bother with AO anymore.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You own the extended version?

Ed

No I dont.

For the price point and functionality of GPO and Silver though, I honestly dont think AO is a viable option anymore.

Regardless of which AO version you might own or look to buy.

Go Back to forum