• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample Libraries and DLS

Share/Bookmark

Sample Libraries and DLS

So can we make DLS libraries (Microsoft\'s Downloadable Sound libraries used in Directmusic)out of other libraries we\'ve purchased? Does it depend on the EULA? I\'m figuring if you\'re creating the libraries soley to add dynamic interactivity to your compositions, AND those libraries are restricted to functioning as interactive soundtracks, then it\'s ok. I just want to make sure.

Re: Sample Libraries and DLS

This is definitely not allowed with Spectrasonics libraries. DLS is another form of Soundfont format, so converting our samples to this platform and distributing them on a game is essentially a massive and very serious copyright violation. (millions of copies being made and distributed)

This is especially problematic since many people convert DLS soundsets from Games into formats that can be directly read by Samplers (sf2, wav, etc)

You can see the problem....this crosses the line of what we allow for using our stuff in a musical context. If the samples themselves are getting duplicated in the game, this is not covered by any standard license agreements that I\'m aware of in our industry.

Any licensed Spectrasonics user wishing to deliver Game Music in DLS or any other sampler-type of format must get special clearance and permission to do so from us directly before the game is released.

Hope that clarifies how this DLS type of delivery is different than regular Music Track delivery in stereo mixes, etc.

All the best,

spectrum

Thanks Spectrum, I appreciate the info.

I imagine this will be the typical response from developers. I hadn\'t thought of the possiblity of reverse engineering soundfonts, but now I see the issue.

Well, could you clarify just one more thing for me? If a stereo mixed recording is appropriate to have in a game, but a collection of samples is not, then what about sequenced tracks? Let\'s say I want a sequenced rhythm to play under level music when you are close to your objective. Can I mix-down a 4 bar drum sequence that was exlusively created using Stylus to an .ogg file and use that?

It get\'s kind of gray in this area. Also, does this mean you can\'t feature any Spectrasonics product exclusively even if it is a stereo mix? Can I have a 2 bar drum break and just play a 2-bar sample from Stylus? Or can I play an intro that is nothing but an Atmosphere pad? Cause that\'s technically re-distributing Spectrasonics samples too.

Just for the record, I\'m not trying to be argumentative, I just want clarification. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by His Frogness:

Well, could you clarify just one more thing for me? If a stereo mixed recording is appropriate to have in a game, but a collection of samples is not, then what about sequenced tracks? Let\'s say I want a sequenced rhythm to play under level music when you are close to your objective. Can I mix-down a 4 bar drum sequence that was exlusively created using Stylus to an .ogg file and use that?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Isn\'t .ogg an audio file like mp3? Of course stereo music tracks of any file type are fine for games. Sequencing is of course fine too, is just the encoding of the actual samples that\'s problematic.

It get\'s kind of gray in this area. Also, does this mean you can\'t feature any Spectrasonics product exclusively even if it is a stereo mix? Can I have a 2 bar drum break and just play a 2-bar sample from Stylus? Or can I play an intro that is nothing but an Atmosphere pad? Cause that\'s technically re-distributing Spectrasonics samples too.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s not a really a problem if it\'s part of the music track. We don\'t freak out about this kind of use for normal solo passages or intros, as long as its part of a music track and not excessive. It would depend a lot on how it was done. The problem for us would only show up if it started to turn into non-musical applications, like sound FX for the game....that requires a different license.

Just for the record, I\'m not trying to be argumentative, I just want clarification. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course....no problem!

:-)

spectrum

Go Back to forum