• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cool LOTR soundtrack quote...

Cool LOTR soundtrack quote...

\"For example, both Elves and Dwarves are known to play the harp. But unlike Elven harps, Dwarven harps are \"strung with silver.\" We represent this in our scores with a rare wire-strung harp, recorded especially for our LOTR series by sample maestro Gary Garritan. As another example, Hobbits\' music is voiced by Celtic ensembles, based on the reference that Hobbits play \"pipes and flutes.\" But they also played \"horns and trumpets.\" You\'ll find them all in our Hobbit tunes. Also, Dwarves are reported to play \"clarinets\" and \"viols as big as themselves,\" which we have also reflected authentically in our scores.\"

I took this from an article entitled: Riffing on Tolkien: The Conceptualization, Production, and Dissemination of Music in The Lord of the Rings. You can read the whole article here: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20031112/thomas_01.shtml you have to be a member to read it, but membership is free.

Re: Cool LOTR soundtrack quote...

I remember this article--this is for the VU game soundtracks, not the movies (or EA\'s movie-licensed games), right?

The soundtracks for the VU games are quite well done, though.

Yes, for the games.

and good web too...

Orcas Island

Thanks for finding this. Chance called and asked about a wire strung harp. A wire-string harp is strung with brass strings and has a very delicate ethereal quality. It evokes the imagery of an ancient time of faeries and hobbits. Chance was looking for a very specific sound for the Lord of the Rings game series and was unsuccessful in finding a wire-strung (they\'re scarcer than hens teeth). I happened to have a Wicher wire-strung harp (too many harps laying around the house). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I hope to include this in a future sample library of many harps.

Gary Garritan

Gary Garritan: Lord of the Strings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Gary Garritan: Lord of the Strings. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum