• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Another poll-type question: what's in your template?

Share/Bookmark

Another poll-type question: what\'s in your template?

Or templates?

Just curious how people are working (I\'m working on the outline for a proposed course I want to teach). Rather than a complete and utterly boring list, maybe a summary of how you have it set up would be better - e.g. 8 vln articulations, etc.

Re: Another poll-type question: what\'s in your template?

Hi Nick, I make use of the Folder Tracks in Cubase for my Orchestral Template.

At the top level you simply have a folder for each section of the orchestra; Strings, Winds, Brass, Percussion.

If you open up say, the Strings folder, I actually have more folder tracks for each string section; 1stV, 2ndV, Violas, Cellos, Basses.

Inside each section folder I will then have as many tracks as I need for the different instrument articulations including solo instruments. For example, the 1st Violin folder track might have A legato/sustain patch, a marcato patch, a sordino patch, pizzicato patch, solo violin patch, etc, etc.

By having the template setup with folder tracks, I can effectively \"zoom in\" to an orchestral section when I need to. If I am not currently working on woodwinds, it is collapsed down to a single track, giving back screen real estate for other stuff. It means more clicking, but a lot less scrolling. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I also have a general \"rock \'n\' roll\" template setup too. It has a standard drum kit, bass sound and some rhyhtm guitars to get me started.

Thanks Scott. (I was starting to feel like someone who\'d given a party and none of the guests showed up - although three hours isn\'t all that long, so as long as I don\'t drink up all the booze and eat all the hors d\'ouvres it\'ll be okay...)

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[Houston sips a martini]

Scott is right on the mark. I have templates set up in Nuendo that use folders to categorize the instrument groups. I also set up a single FX Channel strip with Voxengo Pristine Space. I have multiple instances of Kontakt mapped from each MIDI channel to summed outputs, where all of the various flavor of flute (picolo, flute, alto, bass flutes) to a single stereo pair - in a way allowing the stereo position and effects mix to be controlled on an instrument-group level. That translates to 80 MIDI channels and more than two-dozen bussed audio outs.

For each template for mixing and mastering, I also have gone in and set up iZotope\'s Ozone to launch with it right off the bat. The VST version of their plug is going to be a killer.

On my second machine, I have set up for \"pop\" oriented tracking, and have set up MIDI track folders for bass, drums, guitar, keyboards, synths, and horns. On this machine I use HALion to set up bass and some keyboards while launching virtual guitarist and electric edition (both deactivated until needed) as well as groove agent for drums. I also have an instance of GPO launch with the Steinway Grand, which is what I use for most of my songwriting. Once again, Voxengo Pristine Space is the single effect loaded up, with only the piano routed to it.

Nick,
    Can\'t add any value regarding your question, but can I ask what type of course you are preparing?

Advanced sequencing techniques. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I just changed my template so it\'s exactly like Scott\'s [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

\"Hi Nick, I make use of the Folder Tracks in Cubase for my Orchestral Template.\"

Yes! Thats what I want to do. The question is, how do you edit all the tracks at once. Can you split and lengthen & move these folder tracks I take it. If not, I would be hosed. I\'m planning on changing to Nuendo when I get a chance. Right now, I using a logic template (with the cool icons) of over 250 tracks. (QLSO, VSL & other libraries as needed)
    I sequence on one machine and run Giga with percussion on it. Then I have a woodwind machine, brass & my powerfull machine is strings. Then a wimply little machine for extra Giga instruments that I use as needed.

Dave

Did you get my RSVP? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Anyway, I\'m always fashionably late to parties. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Templates? Mine are pretty random.

The main one is:

1st PC: (all ports loaded)
    *VSL strings (performance)
    *SISS

2nd PC: (about half loaded)
    *Art Vista Malmsjo (always port 1 channel one)
    *Some G-town
    *Some VSL stuff (Harp etc.)
    *Other random stuff (I bring in stuff as needed)

Mac:
    *Digital performer 3.11
    *20 aux tracks (for softsynths, Absynth, and Atmosphere is always loaded)
    *10 stereo audio tracks
    *all my giga tracks
    *16 Mach-5 tracks (electronic type sounds)

That\'s usually where I start. I have other templates, but that is the main one I use.

Originally posted by David Govett:
    \"Hi Nick, I make use of the Folder Tracks in Cubase for my Orchestral Template.\"

Yes! Thats what I want to do. The question is, how do you edit all the tracks at once. Can you split and lengthen & move these folder tracks I take it. If not, I would be hosed. I\'m planning on changing to Nuendo when I get a chance. Right now, I using a logic template (with the cool icons) of over 250 tracks. (QLSO, VSL & other libraries as needed)
    I sequence on one machine and run Giga with percussion on it. Then I have a woodwind machine, brass & my powerfull machine is strings. Then a wimply little machine for extra Giga instruments that I use as needed.

Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Dave, in Cubase SX 2 (and I\'m sure Nuendo also) you can solo, mute, cut and stretch a folder track and any track contained within it will do the same.

For example, all five of my string sections are contained within one main String Folder Track (as mentioned above) - if I mute this track, it mutes every single string part.

I\'ve done a few screen grabs for anyone that\'s interested;

Pic 1 shows the initial folder tracks, note on the left you can view what is contained within a folder track without actually opening it.

Pic 2 - Opening the main String Folder Track shows a further 5 folder tracks for each section of a string orchestra.

Pic 3 - Opening the 1st Violins Folder Track then gives me access to each articulation for the instrument.

This template is under review. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Im building a new one to include EWQLSO Gold, GPO and Kontakt.

Go Back to forum