• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Brinsmead: Brahms Piano Concerto 2 NEW!

Share/Bookmark

Brinsmead: Brahms Piano Concerto 2 NEW!

My special thanks to Duncan Brinsmead for these new demos which feature:

Dan Dean Solo Woodwinds
    Dan Dean Solo Brass
    Dan Dean Solo Strings (in ensemble format)
    Michiel\'s Grandioso

These are the first 2 movements. I\'ll post the final two later. Enjoy, and thanks again Duncan.

http://www.dandeanpro.com/BrahmsPnoCon2Mvt1.mp3
    http://www.dandeanpro.com/BrahmsPnoCon2Mvt2.mp3

Re: Brinsmead: Brahms Piano Concerto 2 NEW!

cant wait to listen to this, love this concerto one of my favorites

This really is amazingly good work. Great sounding strings and wood winds. And, of course, the PMI Steinway.

A question for Duncan Brinsmead about the PMI Grandioso Steinway D samples. According to Michel Post\'s website, you used a \"specially modified\" version of the PMI Steinway library. I am curious to know a little more in what ways it was specially modified.

I have the lite version. I think I remember reading that the lite samples are just little darker than the full. Is that right?

I think the orchestral part would have sounded better when created with QLSO or VSL. The Piano sounds absolutely fabulous!!!

According to Michel Post\'s website, you used a \"specially modified\" version of the PMI Steinway library. I am curious to know a little more in what ways it was specially modified.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I applied a bit of filtering to the sound files and built a new gig file. I boosted the treble in the samples in the softer layers. I then constructed a new gig file using the modified samples. I also modified the velocity points at which the samples were switched, although I can\'t remember which way I moved them(it was a few years ago). I used the pedal down samples combined with release samples.

I had made the section strings by transposing several instances of the dan dean solo strings. I think the excessive transposition and phasing that resulted creates problems in some spots, especially high string passages. It is really better to use a modern section string library for this sort of thing, although I had started this project years ago.

Duncan

Duncan,

this too is one of my favorite Brahm\'s scores. Your performance is so marvelous. Your giftedness is so evident in all of the themes phrases.

Alan Russell

Great work Duncan. It blew me away last summer when you posted an earlier version of the first movement, which I think you maybe fine tuned now. It sounds great and I\'m looking forward to hearing the final movements. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Duncan, once again a brillant piece of work.
    Great use of Dan Dean samples. Very very effective. I love these movements and this interpretation is getting to be my favourite. I\'m also really very impressed with the piano sound; it sounds so real! If you play this recording to a classic musician and tell him it\'s all samples he will want to know how to achieve the same results.
    I know you spent a lot of work in your midi sequencing (and sound modifications) and you did a great job!

Dan Dean: what a great demo for your libraries! I must say that the string section sounds absolutely ok for me, regardless the fact that the section was created with solo strings.
    I really like your Brass for Brahms; they are powerful and precise. Just what Brahms needs.
    Great work.

I think this is an incredible accomplishment, Duncan! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    You have even worked on tweaking legato note transitions with the horn(s) with pitch bend?
    I also have the DD strings and can actually hardly believe you pulled this off with their limited number of articulations (DDSS of course sound very good)!

Thumbs up!

Duncan,

Excellent work Maestro! You never cease to amaze.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum