• Register
  • Help

Topic: VERY Interesting news on VSL forum

Share/Bookmark

VERY Interesting news on VSL forum

Couple of interesting pieces on the VSL forum at the moment;

1. Mr Govett talks a bit about how Giga 3.0 can replace most of the functionality of the VSL Performance tool ... straight out of the box. (hope I\'ve read this right).

2. And ... VSL are shortly to announce some new Horizon series ;

\"\"1. The \"French oboe\"
    Extensive like our Vienna Oboe of the Pro Edition, but of course with a major focus on vibrato performances.
    There will be included two smaller bonus instruments:
    an english horn with vibrato performance legati,
    and an Eb clarinett.

2. Chamber Strings
    Also a very voluminous release.
    6 Violins, 4 viola, 3 celli, 2 bassi.
    The major extensions here are \"performance detaches\" and \"spicatti\", (like our solo violin)

3. 8 Horn section
    The performance legato costed a fortune. I don\'t like to count the recording sessions we\'ve needed. This time the legatos are performed starting with B1!

4. Woodwind ensembles
    3 flute, 3 oboes, 3 clarinettes, 3 bassoons

5. Harps
    A dedicated harp release, including our Harp of the First/Pro Edition plus a new second harp.
    The 2nd harp does not have any glissandis, here we focused a little more on special playing techniques.
    Also the normal plugs do have 2 variations of each note (1+2).
    This release is dedicated to all scores, which need 2 harps performing. \"\" HERB.

Really, VERY strange that these stories haven\'t appeared on here sooner. (unless I\'ve missed them.)

Re: VERY Interesting news on VSL forum

The news was clouded by all the talk about Evan Evans. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by andyt .:

2. Chamber Strings
    Also a very voluminous release.
    6 Violins, 4 viola, 3 celli, 2 bassi.
    The major extensions here are \"performance detaches\" and \"spicatti\", (like our solo violin)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can\'t wait to hear some of this. Any word on a release date?

Yes, we mentioned these cool tools at the NAMM show. Its new to some people though.
    Take care
    Dave

Eight horns in unison? Is that right? Has anyone ever used eight unison horns in any piece in musical history? Strange.

Also, there\'s no contrabass clarinet. The continued global absence of this instrument must mean it\'s very hard to sample. Pity.

Has anyone ever used eight unison horns in any piece in musical history?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mahler Synphony no.3 , intro!!!

Originally posted by leogardini:
    Mahler Synphony no.3 , intro!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks. Typical Mahler - what a show off! I\'m sure the eight horns will sound appropriately apocalyptic. Great stuff. However, I can\'t help feeling that sordino brass would have been more useful - vital in fact.

Cheers
    Heath

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    Eight horns in unison? Is that right? Has anyone ever used eight unison horns in any piece in musical history? Strange.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lots of late romantics and film scores use 8 horns (sometimes more). Richard Strauss, Bruckner, Scriabin, Mahler (as previously mentioned)...Scheonberg used 10 horns in some works...Brian used 16 in some works...

Can\'t wait to hear these!

Originally posted by Not Dudley Simpson:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What are you kidding? That\'s standard big budget film score instrumentation!

Originally posted by vaultcomplex:
    What are you kidding? That\'s standard big budget film score instrumentation!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not here in the poverty striken British Isles it isn\'t, old chap. To quote Oscar Wilde \"Four horns is a temptation, eight horns is a Hollywood.\"

Or something...

Heath

Go Back to forum