• Register
  • Help

Topic: Professional Shotgun mic, What are the best for film making?

Share/Bookmark

Professional Shotgun mic, What are the best for film making?

I\'m buying a shotgun mic good. Want quality sound. and am confused with all the different one out there. I,ve been looking at Sennheiser And Audio Technica I\'m looking for the best price for the buck. any sujestions
    The ones people have subjested are
    MKH 416 Sennheiser
    MKH 418 Sennheiser
    At 4073 audio Technica also is there a AT mic comparible in quilty to the 416 thats cheaper
    * or after a certain range there all the same priced for the same quilty

Any subjestions

Re: Professional Shotgun mic, What are the best for film making?

I haven\'t used them. but Azden makes some competitively priced shotgun mics as well. http://azden.com/

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    I haven\'t used them. but Azden makes some competitively priced shotgun mics as well. http://azden.com/
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You say Azden makes some competitively prize do you have any subjestions to whitch AZ is equil to Sennheiser MKH 415 At around $1000.00 this is the 416 is only one that I\'ve heard, that sound really clear no back ground noise. I\'ve only heard Audio Technica and Sennhieser
    Rob

I\'d guess that the SGM-2X (list $300) would be the closest match, but I haven\'t heard it. You might search for some reviews and see if anybody near you carries them. I don\'t have any experience with them, but if price is an issue, they may be worth a look.

I\'m considering getting the least expensive Azden for my son. He does video projects with a 1-CCD consumer camera. I\'d have to spend a couple grand to get a better picture, but by spending just $110 on a mic, the dialogue that he\'ll capture will likely improve greatly. And we all know that sound is more important than pictures, don\'t we? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Of course, great sound, score, pictures, lighting, story, performances and editing are best. If you ever want to get rid of your PD150, please send it to my house. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

BTW, for x-mas we got our son a Steady Tracker. It\'s just some counterweighted metal that bolts together with the camera and smooths out handheld shots. You don\'t get much for your money, but the results are really cool. He\'s done some filming while running, and the camera just tracks along. Had he been holding the camcorder in his hand, it would have been shake city. If you plan to do any handheld shots, and don\'t have the budget for a Steadycam, check it out - or even build something yourself. The difference is like night and day.

Hey Robbie,

You might find this useful ::

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html

I like the Sennheiser K6, for its quick and dirty versatility with the choices of the interchangable elements/capsulse.

SWL

Also, read up on creating impulse responses so that you can try and capture impulses of the locations you are recording at. Then for goodness sakes, use the same mic or mic model for any ADR (dialog replacement) and try to use the impulses. Too many times on even big budget films, I can get distracted by the replaced dialog. Some films use real fancy high end studio mics for replacing dialog and they sound way different than the shotgun mics used on the set.
    Good luck
    Dave

Nice review link, SWL.

I agree that the K6 looks to be the best of the bunch. The AT looks nice for overheads or other high SPL application. The Azden might be best for dialogue on a budget, which is my son\'s domain.

I like the conclusion. If you want high-end, rent the high-dollar stuff. Makes sense to me!

Go Back to forum