• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Prosonus Orchestral and PITCH! (rant)

Share/Bookmark

Prosonus Orchestral and PITCH! (rant)

Hey all,

I knew before I ordered the Prosonus Orchestral that it had a few pitch problems. It\'s been mentioned before on these boards, and the demos at Big Fish have a few clams in them (because of the sounds, not the composers). \"No big deal,\" thought I. \"I\'ll tweak the couple of bad notes.\"

I\'d better take a vacation, because them tweaks is gonna take a while.

Have mercy! I\'m REALLY scratching my head, because the programmer of the Giga version is very well-respected. I own (and LOVE) another of his libraries, and have heard nothing but the highest praise for his work. Top-notch professional stuff. But the pitch problems in Prosonus are *pervasive*, and not at all subtle. You don\'t have to hunt hard--just pick any solo brass, hit a few notes, and prepare to pucker. Try the same with many of the solo strings, and a couple of the woodwinds. More ouch.

Some of the instruments change pitch significantly (yes, even more than the tendencies of the instruments call for) with velocity or range. The flute keyswitch, for example, is a nifty instrument that includes double-tongued staccato and sustained notes. But they\'re horribly out of tune with each other! Want a nice conventional octave doubling of a line between flute and piccolo? Forget it. As with the other pitch problems, they\'re musically unusable.

\"So tweak \'em!\" Yeah, but should I have to?! This is a \"budget\" collection, but we should expect the instruments to be in tune. I\'d expect to tweak attacks, releases, key maps, filters, controllers, etc. But the things should be in tune as they come.

I\'m not a pro. My day job is as a high school band director. Honestly, if my students had such horrid pitch, I\'d send \'em back to jr. high. I\'ll post some sample mp3\'s, if anyone thinks I\'m exaggerating.

Oh, and if you want a snare drum, you gotta program it yourself. The sounds are included, but they\'re not mapped!

On the plus side, if it were in tune, it\'d be a great value. Pitch aside, the programming includes a good variety of useful keyswitches, and the general character of the instruments even better than the demos lead on, in my opinion.

Anyone know if there are plans to fix the pitch?

/rant

--Eric

Re: Prosonus Orchestral and PITCH! (rant)

Originally posted by Eric G:
    Hey all,

I knew before I ordered the Prosonus Orchestral that it had a few pitch problems. It\'s been mentioned before on these boards, and the demos at Big Fish have a few clams in them (because of the sounds, not the composers). \"No big deal,\" thought I. \"I\'ll tweak the couple of bad notes.\"
    Anyone know if there are plans to fix the pitch?
    --Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Anyone who owns Prosonus Orchestra Collection who shares these tuning concerns should contact Big Fish Audio at: info@bigfishaudio.com attention Scott. Maybe we can get an update out of this.

Perhaps Donnie might know why this is?

The update should be up tonight or tom. at the latest.

The .art files will have both sets of tunings on them...a completely anal in tune version and the original tunings.

It is kind\'ve strange that no one complained about the Akai versions tunings. Because the GIGA verion has the same tunings.

Unfortunately thsi thing got blown way out of porportion. Yes, there were SOME tuning issues with the library BUT this turned into a case where someone said \"ooh, someone farted....do you smell that? and everyone, not wanting anyone to think that they can\'t smell says \"YES, ooh thats smelly\"

As a matter of fact the demo that everyone was griping about had about 5 notes out of tune on an average of 1-3 cents. So I guess we\'ve got a bunch of people on here with perfect pitch.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Nevertheless....it should be up tonight.

PS...it was the Bass Trombone player that couldn\'t play in tune with a gun to his head! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But at least he was consistant!

Originally posted by donnie:
    ...a completely anal in tune version and the original tunings.

BUT this turned into a case where someone said \"ooh, someone farted....do you smell that? and everyone, not wanting anyone to think that they can\'t smell says \"YES, ooh thats smelly\"

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Donnie? You made a joke! You made a joke! Yes, granted, it was still a little angry, but you made a joke! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[QUOTE]Originally posted by donnie:

Yay! That was pretty fast, from the time I received a response from Scott at BFA until now. It\'s good to know that both Donnie and BFA stand by their work, but then that\'s to be expected from a well-respected developer and distributor.

Unfortunately thsi thing got blown way out of porportion. Yes, there were SOME tuning issues with the library BUT this turned into a case where someone said \"ooh, someone farted....do you smell that? and everyone, not wanting anyone to think that they can\'t smell says \"YES, ooh thats smelly\"

As a matter of fact the demo that everyone was griping about had about 5 notes out of tune on an average of 1-3 cents. So I guess we\'ve got a bunch of people on here with perfect pitch.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Okay, I really don\'t agree here. In my real job, I deal with musicians-in-training who don\'t have such strong senses of pitch, so my tolerance can be pretty high. In the OC, though, you can pick almost any solo instrument and play root position triads (just like a section would play) up and down the keyboard, and you WILL find at least three really bad clams somewhere. The demo everyone complains about doesn\'t really reveal the extent of the tuning problems.

Fortunately, being an obviously fine timpanist (and thus probably having excellent pitch) and general musician, I\'ll bet Donnie\'s edits will right the wrongs.

Can\'t comment on the Akai version--GS is the only sampler I\'ve owned unless you count the Ensoniq TS-10.

Anyway, I\'m looking forward to the update, and am impressed with the quick turnaround time.

Nevertheless....it should be up tonight.

On BFA\'s site, or DS Soundware?

--Eric

Originally posted by donnie:
    !
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good news! Donnie, where are the updated .art files going to be available? I did not find any reference to this at BigFishAudio.

Unfortunately this thing got blown way out of porportion. Yes, there were SOME tuning issues with the library BUT this turned into a case where someone said \"ooh, someone farted....
    !
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To extend your analogy: Sometimes, one can get used to the smell of one\'s own farts [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think the proportions were just right. Had they not been as such, we would not be getting this tuning fix. I do hope the re-tuning was not just a few notes here and there though [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

As a matter of fact, the demo that everyone was griping about had about 5 notes out of tune on an average of 1-3 cents. So I guess we\'ve got a bunch of people on here with perfect pitch.... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    !
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The library has major tuning problems - no doubt, absolutely no doubt. It only takes relative pitch to draw this conclusion. This is a moot point though assuming the update fixes the problem.

While I am here, I would like to thank Scott at Big Fish for his cooperation in this matter. I first contacted him on May 22nd, he returned e-mail on the 23. Later e-mail indicated that BFA agreed that there was a problem and now (or soon), we will have an update - no small effort and in record time. Thanks for the support!

Again, if anyone knows where we can get the update, please let us know.

Hi,

I looked at Big Fish Audio and DS Soundware, but couldn\'t find the update. Maybe later. If anybody finds it, please let us know. It will probably save 5 minutes hunting for it... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Craig,

You\'ll be happy to know that I went in and tuned every note. So we didn\'t skip over anything.

dc

BTW, my farts smell like roses (to me)!!

Go Back to forum