• Register
  • Help

Topic: QLB -- Giga vs. Akai

Share/Bookmark

QLB -- Giga vs. Akai

Anyone used both the Akai and Giga versions of Quantum Leap Brass? I have the Akai CDs and am considering buying the Giga version if that format offers enough improvement in rendering the samples. Any input regarding the sound quality of Giga vs. Akai would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: QLB -- Giga vs. Akai

One word - DDBE.

Actually maybe that\'s four words, or four letters at least. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by aplanchard:
    Anyone used both the Akai and Giga versions of Quantum Leap Brass? I have the Akai CDs and am considering buying the Giga version if that format offers enough improvement in rendering the samples. Any input regarding the sound quality of Giga vs. Akai would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">APlanchard,

First of all, the Giga version is almost the same as the Akai s5000/6000 version.

By the way, if you want to switch, all you have to do is send back the Akai discs and pay $20 for the Giga version. <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Call Sounds on Line or East West for information.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Kevin,
    So even with the lack of need of looping the decays in Giga the sound quality is not much better? I would have thought the Giga version would sound better for this reason alone?

Hasen,
    I must admit that I find the QLB brass to not sound much better than many of the corresponding brass sounds in my Roland 5080. Ugh! I will check out the Dan Dean stuff.

Thanks you both for your input.

The giga version is no great improvement over the Akai S-5000 version. It\'s just easier to use. One thing that I find is that many people don\'t use EQ. Either because they don\'t have any or they are not sure what to do. QL Brass was intended to work for pop or orchestral and so the sound is alittle mid-rangey for orchestral work. This is because I used a ribbon mic as well as condensers. But, because it is not too close mic\'ed, it responds really well to a midrange cut and reverb. I have heard some really nice orchestral things done with this library, flawed though it is. I have also had alot of success with it. You can hear a demo at soundsonline.com.

Nick,

Thanks for the reply. I must admit that the demos sound much better than my results using the sampler in my 5080. No doubt, my engineering skills need work. I\'ll keep at it, and see if I can achieve more realistic sounds using your suggestions. Thanks again for your input.

Go Back to forum