• Register
  • Help

Topic: How do I "lock" an instrument I create in GS editor?

Share/Bookmark

How do I "lock" an instrument I create in GS editor?

Hi all, I posted this on the Tascam forum. I\'m creating a commercial library and was wondering how the other producers use the \"lock\" feature hinted at by Nemesys but not actually present in the GS editor or documentation.

It seems that Nemesys has an internal tool they use.

Does anyone know about it, how to get it / use it? Is running instruments through corporate for locking part of any GS publishing deal?

Thanks to all for such an interesting forum.

bt

Re: How do I "lock" an instrument I create in GS editor?

Its an internal tool developed by Nemesys.

In the end it doesn\'t really \"lock\" the giga library to end users. Users can convert the internal samples using 3rd party software.

I think Awave can convert from AND to WA! format (the \"locked\" format)

The plus side of this format is that its supposed to help Gigastudio stream the samples, and also compresses the overall size of the instrument.

Thanks for the quick reply. One thing you aren\'t is an idiot. Good to know that the 3rd party extraction software exists. Then I\'d say why bother except for your efficiency comments which are key.

How can I get to use this tool? What privileges must one have?

TIA,

bt

I\'ve seen WA! before, and was under the impression that it was lossy compression. It\'s hard to imagine the extra CPU cycles for lossless compression occuring on a per-sample basis -- though I certainly would not put that past the genii over at Nemesys.

So I guess one cannot lock an instrument, without also applying lossy or lossless compression to the sample set? Obviously quality is paramount to everyone so I\'m probably confused as usual.

I guess it doesn\'t matter if folks extract the wave files; they will have bought them.

Still, the existence of corporate tools with extra features suggests an \"inner circle\" of sample library developers. Apologies if this is a reference to eldritch threads, just trying to light the way for myself...

Cheers,

bt

well about the extra CPU cycles. Its not so much the CPU cycles that are the prblem for Giga, its the streaming form the hard drive.

I\'m guessing that Giga is optimized to decode WA! files on the fly and that this helps grab data off the hard disc faster. This can lead to higher poly counts.

Anyhow, develoeprs should be able to get the official tools from Nemesys. Not sure if it involves a Developer agreement or not. I believe they have another tool or two that develoeprs can benefit from. Like an auto splitter

Very helpful, thank you. I\'ll follow up with them.... will dig through teh posts here to try and find the names of the appropriate folks at Nemesys/Tascam.

bt

I have once contacted Nemesys about developer tools or documents, but I got the impression (from Jim Bibbo) that Nemesys (Tascam now) first want to see business plans, project proposals, etc, before they decide on releasing technical information ot just anyone.
    So, there is not a simple \"sign this NDA and buy/use our tools\" policy. A number of companies, like ChickenSys, apparently have made it into the inner circles of the techie temple and work close together with the Giga developers.

Peter / emano

I think the main reason to use Wa! is the read speed increase combined with (I think) an impressive lossless compression ratio of something like 2:1.

Hmmm.... interesting..... well I\'m glad they require bplans. Thanks for the tips, \'cause I\'m serious. :-)

bt

Go Back to forum