• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The deal with Alien3-ripoffs in "Karakter" soundtrack (Paleis van Boem) ?!?

Share/Bookmark

The deal with Alien3-ripoffs in "Karakter" soundtrack (Paleis van Boem) ?!?

I watched the Dutch film \"Karakter\" lately, very nice, but what on earth is the deal with the 100% identical Alien3 passages in the soundtrack? The credits say \"Paleis van Boem\" (Dutch composers duo), but in my strong opinion it should say \"Elliot Goldenthal\" [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Anyone know more about this?
    Sounds like a sue case to me!

Maarten

Re: The deal with Alien3-ripoffs in "Karakter" soundtrack (Paleis van Boem) ?!?

Maybe obvious, but the Dutch \"Paleis van Boem\" translates to something like \"Palace of Boom\".

Maybe there business is about putting bombs underneath their \"own\" work?

..there is one sample cd out there, legal and you can get it at all big online shops, that has a lot of stuff just choped up from the Alien3 score, my favorite score ever...
    So I don\'t know about the movie you\'re talking about, but it could be the case that they used this...
    and I\'m pretty sure that the samples on the cd are completly illegal...but untill s h i t hits the fan I going to enjoy the sounds, since I made some really good perc hits out of these...and I\'m not giving them up...no way..LOL!..they are mine now!

Alex

Well I\'m not only talking about small percussive accents or effects, but there are complete 1-2 minute Alien3 passages in the movie, complete with orchestration and progressions and all! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2 examples:
    - Alien3 track 6 the low strings/bassoon 3rd-interval motif is completely copied in the Karakter end credits
    - Alien3 track 14 from 0:51 building towards the modulation at 1:08, complete passage+orchestration was all over the movie !

How about that ... ?

..no...there are some passages and phrases on the cd, but certanly not 1-2 minute passages...
    you really have to be dumb **** to just grab one of the most specific sounding scores and put it in a movie...and yet, not a lot of people notice it..depressing really...

Alex

Ok juicy details:

I just spoke to my composition teacher and he told me that Paleis van Boem HAS been sued for using Alien3 material. Boem apparently didn\'t suspect the film with their rip-off music was going to win an oscar and get US attention.

He didn\'t know, however, how it ended. Now I\'m curious [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm...

Have some OT question. But fits I think.

Where can I get soundtracks that are not released on CD? I\'m looking for a soundtrack made by Alexander van Bubenheim (obvious a dutch composer). The film\'s title: \"The Experiment\" (original: Das Experiment)

Thanks for the help.
    PolarBear

I did some checking with Dutch Google.nl and arrived at this Dutch site:

http://www.moviecity.nl/index.php3?page=film&ID=2005

The film is actually German (hence \"Das\" Experiment - Dutch would be \"Het Experiment\", small diff, but still [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

A link in English:

http://www.german-cinema.de/archive/film_view.php?film_id=543

Peter

That\'s not uncommon Maarten, when they think they can get away with it. Hong Kong films in particular have had Hollywood music rips in them for years.

PolarBear,
    If you already knew the film is German, sorry, but \"van Bubenheim\" sounds to me also more German than Dutch. I read your post as if you were assuming both were Dutch...

Go Back to forum