• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trachtman - Steinways

Share/Bookmark

Trachtman - Steinways

Anybody use Warren Trachtman\'s Steinway samples?

How do they compare to Post\'s ?

Re: Trachtman - Steinways

I don\'t have any experience with Warren Trachtman\'s Steinway samples for Giga, but use his sound font, which is excellent, the best except for the much larger Akai Splendid Piano. (I\'ve read reviews that say his samples are best suited for ragtime and other brighter sounding music, but applying a low pass filter to the upper resgister of the sound font gives it a very full, rich sound. The soundfont can be downloaded from his site for five or ten dollars. You might want to try it in VSampler (a better sound font importer than Giga) to get a taste of his work.

Sorry I can\'t be of more help with the Giga version. I was hoping someone else would respond, since I\'d like to hear impressions of his work on the Giga platform, too.

I remember a user demo with a 8 layers Trachtman that sounded very good, but I don\'t think it can compare to post\'s grandioso.

Hi,
    I can\'t discuss the Post as I don\'t have it, but I do have the Trachtman and the Bardstown.

I posted a version of Kip\'s demo song using the Bardstown the other day. Would it be of any value to post the same song using the Trachtman for comparison?

I\'m pretty sure that the Bardstown is going to sound much better for that sort of music, but who knows?! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you\'re interested, let me know.

I like the Trachtman also, but it tends to be a bit harsher, or slightly strident, sound to my ears. It\'s not bad at all, just not really smooth to me. I must admit that for much of the time I\'ve used the Trachtman my disk setup wasn\'t optimum, so I was only able to use a couple of his versions without a lot of clicks and pops. I\'ve now solved that problem and should do some more work with the other versions of Trachtman to see what else is there.

I haven\'t had the Bardstown long enough to develop any specific comments about it other than it really does sound like Kip\'s demos, which sound really good to me.

Cheers,
    Mark

Originally posted by LittleBiscuit:
    Anybody use Warren Trachtman\'s Steinway samples?

How do they compare to Post\'s ?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Mark...the demo using Trachtman\'s Steinway would be great.

Thanks for the responses everyone.

-lb

LittleBiscuit,
    Here you go. I bounced both the Bardstown Full and the Trachtman DualPedMulti, and then ran them both through the Lame mp3 encoder using a pretty high VBR quality level. I listened to the original wave vs mp3 for both and the is no major (or even minor) difference that I could hear, so I think this is a pretty good representation of the two pianos.

There is a bit of Waves RVerb on the session, but there were no changes made to any faders between the two bounces.

All three instruments are in GSt 96 and are captured in a single live pass and bounced to disk. They are transmitted to PTLE over an ADAT interface using an RME Hammerfall Lite.

http://www.controlnet.com/~makeMusic/Bardstown_Full.mp3

http://www.controlnet.com/~makeMusic/Trachtman_DualPedMulti.mp3

Ask me any questions you\'d like about how this was done.

Cheers,
    Mark

Hi Mark,

Listening to these two demos through my monitors, it seems that the Tachtman piano demo may have a bit more of a gain setting on the Trachtman piano in the mix, than the gain setting on the Bosendorfer piano in the mix of the Bosendorfer demo.

Here is the original demo of that same sequence that I did a few weeks ago with the Bosendorfer Imperial..

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/chick.mp3

Thanks,

Kip

I have the Trachman but no other to compare. Perhaps my main criticism that it\'s p, pp, ppp range doesn\'t sound realistic to me when compared to my acoustic (which isn\'t a Steinway though). I can\'t get the sensitivity or the realism at low levels - it\'s bright and lacking detail. Mind you, it\'s not expensive either.

Hi there,

I have both Trachtman and Post. For solo and orchestral work there is no comparison, the Post is amazing. The trachtman does not have the PP, PPP layers and does not have the \'body\' in its sound. This sometimes makes it the more suitable choice for pop tracks or tracks where the piano is in a \'supporting\' role.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Kip,
    You may be right about that, but if the Trachtman piano is louder in its mp3, it\'s because the Trachtman is a louder Giga library.

Please keep in mind that the two mp3s I made above are both made at the same time with the same settings in Pro Tools. I made no changes in Pro Tools when I bounced these two files. All I did was change which library was loaded in GigaSampler.

I wasn\'t trying to match the overall volumes of the two pianos. I would do that if I was serious about the use of the Trachtman in the song, but I\'m not. I only used it for demo purposes.

There is a definate level difference between your mp3 and my two even though we are both using the same Bardstown library. My use of Waves and the levels I set are definately a bit hotter overall. However, if you listen to my two mp3, they are pretty close in overall levels. (But I do agree, the Trachtman seems just a bit hotter than the Bardstown in my mp3s.)

I actually have a lot of problems with the Trachtman in this mp3. There is a spot right at the beginning, maybe around 7-8 seconds, where the piano loses a lot of its brightness. I hear this throughout the demo of the Trachtman, while it just isn\'t a problem with yours. And I hear this while using that library, which has been very frustrating. With yours I\'m not having this problem at all.

Cheers,
    Mark

Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:
    Hi Mark,

Listening to these two demos through my monitors, it seems that the Tachtman piano demo may have a bit more of a gain setting on the Trachtman piano in the mix, than the gain setting on the Bosendorfer piano in the mix of the Bosendorfer demo.

Here is the original demo of that same sequence that I did a few weeks ago with the Bosendorfer Imperial..

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/chick.mp3

Thanks,

Kip
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Go Back to forum