• Register
  • Help

Topic: MP3 DEMOS POSTED ON NEW WEBSITE

Share/Bookmark

MP3 DEMOS POSTED ON NEW WEBSITE

I have just posted a few mp3 files of stuff that I have composed and recorded using GigaStudio (and a couple of earlier examples using Korg Triton) featuring many of the sound libraries discussed in this forum. They are mostly brief extracts from longer pieces, and are meant to give just a taste of what I have been doing over the past couple of years. Since I am lacking in technical know-how, especially as regards reverbs and EQ etc, the recordings are admittedly rather unpolished. I would welcome advice, criticisms and comments on these or any other aspects.
    Please click on the link below:

http://buist.org/david/

Re: MP3 DEMOS POSTED ON NEW WEBSITE

David:

You are an eclectic composer indeed, and in my opinion, a damn good one. You have provided your mp3\'s for opinions on this forum, so these are mine:

Chaconne (Demo 2)

Excellent rendering of this form and technique, in the tradition of the passacaglia of Brahms\'s Finale in his Haydn variations. Gary\'s strings in general don\'t work here, Vitous would have served you better in this setting, I believe. That thin, bland nasal synth sound that haunts some of the detaches and sustains. Final string run, etc. could have been effective, wasn\'t applied correctly. What timpani? Brass?

GosExpt6 (Strings Demo)

Fresh and imaginative, well done. Here you\'ve used, for the most part (a few gestures don\'t pull it off) Gary\'s library extremely effectively. Great work. A credit to the library.

Plain Jeux 1 (Prelude for Organ)

Again, imaginative and evocative as an organ piece, and I hate organ pieces!

Duo for Viola and English Horn

This is wonderful. You obviously are well aware of the exquisite beauty to be found within the realm of duets. Duets tease the mind by always only suggesting tonality, is a certain inflection a minor, a major, the ambiguity of the medium is so cerebral and elegant. An evocative work, excellent. Slightly too much reverb. Ok, the viola? What are you using here? This is incredibly well done.

Western Isle

Neo-celtic redundant trendy fluff, but great technical work with the whistle. Obvious balance problems, etc. Harp work is good and recalls Sibelius\'s \"The Bard\", Op. 64.

DemoJF and Demo C

Other than some obvious technical achievements, I don\'t know why you included this. Quasi- new age, insipid, etc. Sorry, may work in specific setting in a score, etc. but sounds like the typical inane stuff that so common, in all respects.

Trio Excerpt (Demo 1)

Elegiac, pastoral and evocative of those old fashioned British movie love themes. Very beautiful. You should have paid more attention to the tremolo support in regards to dynamics applied, phrasing could be better. I realize that I am hearing only a excerpt out of context, but I feel you should have added a counter-line or harmonic nuance to the repeated phrase (at 0:40). But this piece, although some may argue a romantic cliché, is however a great success, it works beautifully. Excellent.

So, elaborate now: what harp, woods, sequencer, reverb. Your concerns about eq and reverb are not apparent to me in most pieces to any great extent. I don\'t believe in the distortion of natural orchestral sounds anyway, but that\'s just me.

Best of luck, and continue on,

Gungnir

Gungnir

Thank you for taking the time to listen to all my demos. I am very grateful for your balanced mix of both critical and positive comments.

I tried to give some indication of the sound libraries being used on the website. To clarify, the harp is XSample (Vol 8), the orchestral reeds are also XSample (Vols 6 & 12), and the brass is a mixture of XSample (Vol 3) and QLB. The flute and timpani are from Advanced Orchestra (because unfortunately that is all I have for those instruments at the moment). The solo viola is XSample (Vols 5 & 11). The organ is from Univers Sons/Studio JBF\'s Church Organs collection. (Unlike you, I love organs, to the extent that I have collected every available pipe organ sound library.)

Sequencers & Reverbs:
    The three orchestral pieces were sequenced and reverbed with SONAR. The other solo and duo pieces were improvised off the cuff and recorded on the onboard sequencer of my Korg Triton (which I am still using as my main MIDI controler). A few nuances were then added to the resulting sequences before recording in audio. For these I just used GigaStudio NFX.

The two older Korg demos consist of mere twenty-second snatches taken from several longer pieces rather ineptly spliced together. No wonder they sound so insipid. I apologize for subjecting you to them.

I will periodically update the site, so please check in every so often. I plan to both add new pieces and make improvements to the existing ones.

Thanks again for your comments.

Nice stuff David! I especially like \"Western Isle\". I really like the sound of that irish flute and the Xsample harp is so lovely isn\'t it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Keep posting more!

From the first few seconds of GOS and Xsample demo all I can say is your good. It sounds like something I would purchase, push play and be inspired. Great work. . . Keep writing

Thank you Damon and Precison for listening and giving your comments.

I have just updated the site. There are four new pieces and an \"improved\" version of the Chaconne.

Any more comments would be very welcome.

Go Back to forum