• Register
  • Help

Topic: Scarbee bass advice

Scarbee bass advice

I\'m considering purchasing the Scarbee fingered bass and I\'m curious if some of you who may be using it could give me a brief low down. For example, how \"user friendly\" playable is it? How long does it take to lay down a good bass line, with not a ton of fancy stuff, but sounds better then your typical synth bass line? I think the demos sound great but how much time does it take to create them? (Scarbee, you may want to respond to that). I can\'t spend hours on end creating 1 bass track. I\'d rather spend the dough and hire a bass player. In one question.. out of the box, how\'s the playability? I hate taking extra time to do a bunch of set up with Sound libraries. I like it when I can pull a sound out, hit the keys, and quickly create a sound I can use.... so what\'s the low down on Scarbee\'s work? Thanks guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Jeremy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Scarbee bass advice

Hi Jeremy,

I can\'t really tell you how easy it is, since I am an expert in my own libraries (other users can better do that), but I have done everything to make it as playable as possible within the limitations of GigaSampler/Studio.

You can download the help-file from my website and take a look. The Jam-bass is the easy one.

There will be a light version 1/7 which can be purchased from my new web shop (opens 1/7)

The light version contains the Jam Bass + slides+fretnoises.

You know how you can use Logic to do straight ahead sequencing, or MS Word to write a simple letter, but not have to be adept in the dark arts of these programmes innermost workings to do that?

Well, the Scarbee basses are a lot like that.
    Basically, all you really need to do is choose which of the three pickup positions you want to use, pull up its Jam bass and go.

Yes, you can get very funky and specific with what string a note is being played on etc., but the Jam basses let you do about 90% of a great bass part right there in the one patch.

It all centres around the mod wheel, which switches between 4 basic articulations:

1. When it\'s at 0 you get your normal sustains. Do nothing else and you can play a deluxe sampler bass part with varying velocities giving you harder and softer notes. You also have the added realism of the release triggered samples which make the bass parts you play sound twice as true. Just a little note mute as you let go of a key. Very natural, and the dynamics of the sampled bass feel just right to me. It doesn\'t suddenly jump from a really soft sound to a really hard played sound like some programs do.

2. When the mod wheel is between 1/4 and 1/2 way up, you\'re playing the mute sounds, so switching from a normal sustain note to a muted one is as easy as a quick wiggle of the wheel.

3. When the wheel is in its third quarter you\'re playing grace note slides. Again, two quick flicks get you there and back to normal.

4. The last quarter of the wheel switches you to legato tails. You can use these to emulate hammer ons - when switching from a normal (sustain) note to new note which doesn\'t have a full attack.

In the same patch, up the top of the keyboard, you have access to slides. There are lots of these to choose from. The mod wheel controls the speed, and you can use a footswitch to change directions.

My point is that, with the exception of the footswitched slide direction, all these parameters are available when playing a single patch with a standard midi keyboard setup.

You don\'t need to do any fancy patch changes or maestro tools stuff.

All you need to do is aquaint yourself with the locations of the articulations on a single mod wheel. 90% of the time, you\'ll be leaving the mod wheel alone, but it\'s great to just flick in the occasional mute or hammer on.

Sure, you can get very clever and use the studio bass if you want to be ultra real and decide which string every note is being played on, just the way you can get into Logical transform and clever environment based processing in seqeuncers like Logic, but my attention span\'s too short for that. I just grab a jam bass and put the part together. End of story.

Chadwick gave you the big picture view about all the things you can do with the library, and he\'s right. It\'s all basically right there.

I will say, however, that I am usign almost none of that and still getting sound that I\'ve had some great comments on. For me, I\'m just playing bass lines from a keyboard controller. I\'m not that great at keyboards, so I play them using my right hand and just record the MIDI info. From there I may do a little bit of velocity editing. I use the Jam Bass or the Composer Bass and have found no real need to go into all the trills and slides. If I did, the bass would become more real, I think, but it hasn\'t been that important to me so far.

The best thing about the Scarbee library, to me, is simply the sound. It\'s a well recorded, good sounding bass. However, the fingered bass is fingered, so be sure it\'s the sound you want as it isn\'t overly bright.

All in all, I don\'t think anything compares with this library right now. And it certainly is not difficult to use.

Well Scarbee... you can\'t get much better reviews then that. That\'s what I wanted to know. I\'m gonna get the Fingered bass and maybe the slap a little later this summer. I\'m spending a lot on sound libraries so I have to be careful to make sure I can still pay rent!!!!

A few people have expressed curiosity as to what \"playability\" means. I think you guys described it. Out of the box no tweaks, but lots of room for flexibility..... that\'s playability [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks guys

A little tip... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Juli 1 - Scarbee web shop opens with 4 libraries:

1.Scarbee J-Slap (version 3.0 with normal waves)
    2.Scarbee J-Fingered (version 4.0 with normal waves)
    3.Scarbee J-Slap Light (version 3.0 with normal waves)
    4.Scarbee J-Fingered Light (version 4.0 with normal waves)

Completely new covers, booklet - and PRIZE! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

(Especially J-Fingered will have another prize [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

So maybe you should wait a little? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi. If I was thinking of buying today, I\'d certainly wait for Scarbee\'s new offerings. I honestly don\'t think I use anything that isn\'t in the Light libraries, and for the same price as the full version of the Fingered I could get both the Fingered-Light and Slap-Light.

My experience (so far) is that I want more sounds, and personalyl I\'m not very interestedin doing the amount of MIDI programming required to really use all the stuff that\'s in the full featured library.

What I\'ve love to see Scarbee do one of these days is offer a MIDI post processor, where I Could take a base line I\'ve done and it adds lots of the interestign \'feel\' things. That would be cool and fun.

Interesting for sure. I\'d love the samplers to think for me too!

I think I\'ll end up waiting. I was going to get it for this project I\'m working on, but I just ordered Garritan strings so... I\'m out of Library money... oh well, July isn\'t that far way [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum