• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New orchestral piece

New orchestral piece

This one is 99.80% EWQLSO and a little more mainstream. I\'d love to hear both comments on composition and mix. This piece is part 4 of 5 for the LKB Dance new 2004 production:

A Broken Promise

I am discovering composing for the orchestra and I find it very exciting and coming from an entirely different place than when playing and improvising in the jazz/fusion idiom.

So many possibilities and colours!

I feel like a toddler again [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: New orchestral piece

Really nice stuff. I like your style. (and range of styles) If I diddn\'t compose my own music, I might be tempted to hire you if I needed music.

Hello Patrick,
    how are you doing? I\'ll try to do some constructive critisism, keep in mind this is personal and everything depends on context.
    The ostinato is interesting, but the viola (?) is too up front and too static, maybe piano and then crescendo?
    The entering of the orchestra has some great colors.
    The cello line (0.30) is not so good in my opinion, and too static and too ahead as well.
    The little theme at 1.03 is too simple IMO and it\'s disturbing that it is repeated 2 times (with only slight variation), too schematic. Maybe exploit more this melodie and try to treat it in a more \"elastic\" way? Also maybe double it with something?
    1.56 to 2.00 sounds very good with the full orchestra playing.
    All in all the structure is kind of not so clear, when which part appears.
    Working it over again would certainly be benefic, because there are some great ideas.

My 2 cents... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I Agree with Markus in some aspects..,
    I Specialy like the change in 2:42

Good Work!!,

Dave, thank you so much, I\'ll take that as a great compliment, coming from a composer such as yourself! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...but it doesn\'t look like you\'ll be needing my services anytime soon [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Markus, thank you for your comments, I hope you are enjoying the good life back in France (how\'s the Beaujolais this year?) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    It isn\'t a viola, EWQLSO doesn\'t have solo viola yet. My problem with the obstinato line is that EWQLSO has only one martele articulation with that sound. and I needed at least a glissendo articulation but liked the sound of the violin so much that I decided to stay with QLSO rather than going to KHSS. The crescendo idea I\'ll have to try, thank you.
    As far as the cello melody and the B section melody, in all objectivity (if such a thing is possible) I\'ll have to respectfully disagree with you. I like the conterpoint idea of the cello against the obstinato in 7/4 (it might be a little too loud though). And I find the melody in the B section to be emotionally moving, simple yes but I don\'t mind simple at times.

You are right about things being a little repetitive but please remember that this piece is intended for a choregraphy where the director specificaly asked for repetitive motives. My intent was not to write a piece that was meant necesarily to sound like a traditional orchestra.
    I am surprised you found the structure unclear?
    But don\'t get me wrong, I very much appreciate your constructive criticism. I constantly go back and listen to things i have done a few months ago and shake my head in disappointment.

D.M. thank you very much. Glad you enjoyed the piece. Yes, the little \"spanish\" flavor introduced at 2:42 brings another mood to that section, doesn\'t it?
    Dios te bendiga, amigo.

Originally posted by P de Caumette:
    (how\'s the Beaujolais this year?) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good question, I haven\'t tried it yet, I\'ll drink one or two bottles and tell you! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Concerning my suggestions, as I said, everything is based on personal taste and without knowing the exact context.
    Looking forward to hear more from you soon,

Which of the EWQLSO versions did you use? What\'s your setup?

Very nice composition indeed. You could break the monotony of the repititive motive by making it more dynamic in itself.

Thank you for sharing your music with us!

Hello Nhick, thank you for your kind words [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I own the EWQLSO platinium and I use it across 1 master computer and 3 slaves with FX Teleport.
    You are right about making variations of the violin motive. My main problem is that I am using a roland GR33 midi guitar as a midi controller and the amount of time I have to spend fixing and editing all the midi actifacts triggered when playing the GR33 is just daunting.
    I will be getting a Ztar (a guitar shape with touch sensitive neck)in the next couple of weeks and I am really hoping this will free me and enable me to write and program much more freely...

Thank you again

Hi Patrick, very nice! I really enjoyed that. I liked the tutti finish at the end too.

Also, it sounds like the solo violin had some close mics mixed in? Anyway, it sounded great. I really liked hearing the \"bow scrape\", it somehow gave the line more legitimacy and more of a gypsy feel somehow. (Well to me anyway!) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You were saying the piece was 99.80% EWQLSO - what was the .20% ??

I like 7/4 rhythm. I think it lends itself very well to dance.

Go Back to forum