• Register
  • Help

Topic: What Exactly is "Sonata Form"

Share/Bookmark

What Exactly is "Sonata Form"

My background has been in writing \'pop\' (a broad term) music and I\'m now attempting to compose some \'classical\' pieces. I\'ve looked at the scores for several Beethoven Symphonies and Piano Sonatas but I haven\'t been able to relate it to anything like \"verse, chorus\" or \"AABA\".

Although many of the Beethoven pieces are in sonata form they are at the same time quite different in terms of form.

I\'m sure sonata form means more than fast movement, slow mvt, fast mvt. So can anybody help a \'pop guy\' understand the construction of classical music? Thanks.

Looper

Re: What Exactly is "Sonata Form"

Hi Looper. In a few sentences I\'ll try to summize Sonata form for you. Although it really can take a whole chapter in a book or more!

Sonata form or otherwise known as Sonata-Allegro form consists of several sections. The first section is called \"EXPOSITION\" Typically it begins with \"Theme 1\", sometimes more agitated in manner and in the home key (ie. I). This first theme ventures a bit and possibly there may be a \"Second Theme\" which is generally more lyrical in nature and in the dominant (V). Then these have a \"Closing Section\". Then, \"REPEAT\".

After the repeat, the middle section is called the \"Development\" which takes musical material from either Theme 1 or Theme 2 (or sometimes even other material from the Exposition) and meanders in and out of various keys. There is no real typical rule for a developmental section, hence you develop what you have into something that sounds good! Fragments of motif\'s are usually a good thing to do here.

The development will lead back into what\'s called the \"Recapitulation\" which is the same material as the beginning Exposition. Although it might be in a key other than the beginning, sometimes in the dominant, or even subdominant (V or IV). This will bring back both Theme 1 and 2(if there was a second theme) then lead to the ending or \"Coda\" which basically extends the ending section a bit longer.

Double Bar!

You may want to look at a Mozart piano Sonata. These works are pretty straight forward to the Sonata-Allegro form. Beethoven on the other hand tried to break free from all these rules, so you will have a harder time finding these sections. Send me an email if you have any more questions for me about this. I spent many years playing and studying sonatas. Good luck!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Right on, Brett.

Peter Shickele, aka PDQ Bach, is a musicologist who has released numerous musical comedy albums over the years...his PDQ Bach schtick is pretty funny.

One of his really funny things is a routine from an old radio show of his, called New Horizons in Music Appreciation. It\'s Beethoven\'s Fifth, done as a sportscast, with commentary about the form, the performances of the players, etc.

It\'s funny but also pretty educational, because the \"sportscasters\" are commenting the entire way through about the form, and where Beethoven breaks convention.

It\'s still available, I think. His website is www.shickele.com. Funny guy. He\'s been around for years.

One of his really funny things is a routine from an old radio show of his, called New Horizons in Music Appreciation. It\'s Beethoven\'s Fifth, done as a sportscast, with commentary about the form, the performances of the players, etc.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Highly recommended. I love that commentary. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

PDQ Bach: On The Air

Actually at the 50,000 foot level if you squint, Sonata form is simply ABA\'.

The thing is that \"A\" it self is usually something like aaba.

When I was studying form it was this realization of smaller forms within forms that finally made the light bulb go off on how I could strucutre any large composition, even if I wasn\'t going to follow a stanard format.

Operator error – repeat message removed.

Originally posted by Looper:
    [
    Although many of the Beethoven pieces are in sonata form they are at the same time quite different in terms of form.

Looper [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No need to repeat Brett’s ideal introduction, but it just might be worth pointing out that there is a difference between ‘Sonata’ and Sonata form. ‘Sonata’ has become a common-ground generic title for a work, usually, but not always, in more than one movement. Not all Sonatas have movements in Sonata form – as you have noticed in Beethoven. However, the title ‘Sonata’ is usually reserved for pieces with an important element of development – even if that development isn’t restricted to the ‘official’ development section.

More important than learning ‘sonata form’ is embracing the concept of ‘growing’ ideas. Classical music, for all its complexity, is often is based on very simple ideas. These ideas are then treated as if they are like living organisms – they can mutate, combine, produce offspring, argue with each other and make up afterwards. In pop music the ideas are usually shoehorned into a pro-forma song structure. In classical music the process tends to be much more organic and suited to the individual needs of the material.

There are two books:

The Sonata Form - By Charles Rosen (available from Amazon)

The Larger Forms of Musical Composition by Percy Goetschius - from Alexander Publishing. It\'s not currently listed on our web site (we\'re revising it), but you can call us at 1-310-559-3779 as we have it as a PDF. This book was written for composers. It goes step-by-step through Sonata Allegro plus the other larger forms. Hence, the name.

Brett, thanks for taking the time to explain. Based on what you\'ve said I gather that the \'Development\' section is the real meat of classical composition. I\'m used to writing music where each section is clearly delineated by a certain chord progression, in fact I often start with a chord progression. I\'m finding it difficult to think of music in terms of \'themes\' and developing those themes. I\'m amazed by composers who can keep a piece interesting for 10 or 15 minutes by striking just the right balance between repetition and variation. I\'m currently attempting to write a longer piece for solo piano so that I\'ll forced to concentrate on the composition rather than arranging tricks or a hypnotic groove to maintain the interest. My goal is to write about 5 minutes of music that sounds unified yet varied, thus my interest in the forms used by the master composers of the past. I’ll take your suggestion of examining Mozart before Beethoven.

“Actually at the 50,000 foot level if you squint, Sonata form is simply ABA\'.

\"The thing is that \"A\" it self is usually something like aaba.”

Thanks John, this type of explanation makes a lot of sense to me.

\"More important than learning ‘sonata form’ is embracing the concept of ‘growing’ ideas.\"

Ian, thanks, I hope to fully grasp this concept someday.

Bruce, I’ll check out that Peter Schikele commentary.

Peter, that Larger Forms of Musical Composition book you mentioned sounds like it would be really interesting. Is there any chance of looking at the table of contents?

Thanks again.

Brian

Originally posted by Looper:

Peter, that Larger Forms of Musical Composition book you mentioned sounds like it would be really interesting. Is there any chance of looking at the table of contents?

Thanks again.

Brian
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I checked, and it\'s $25US on PDF.

The Serious Composer Volume 4
    The Larger Forms of Musical Composition
    By: Percy Goetschius

Covering the Variation Forms, Rondo Forms,
    Sonata-Allegro Forms, the Overture, Compound Forms

Chapter 1 - The Ground-Motive

Chapter 2 - The Ground-bass, or Basso Ostinato

Chapter 3 - The Passacaglia

Chapter 4 - The Chaconne
    Chaconne-Theme

Chapter 5 - The Small (or simple) Variations-form

Chapter 6 - The Large (or Higher) Variation-Form