• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Flight Of the Bubble Bee Question

Share/Bookmark

Flight Of the Bubble Bee Question

Hello All!

Was wondering about this; I have an upcomng project that needs to have a string passage similar to the opening line of \"The Flight of the Bummble Bee\". Can I hear opinions of which lib could accomplish this? Even if any of you have the time, possibly an MP3 of that line so I could hear how true to form it could sound?

Thanks in advance-
    Tom

Re: Flight Of the Bubble Bee Question

Nobody? Best lib for super fast string lines?

VSL strings would be the best bet, I\'m thinking. Performance legato runs are insane, some of the sampled fast runs, and all of those wonderfully programmed articulations would easily make them the ensemble of choice for a work like that.

Just my opinion tho. Good Luck!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    mike

Ok so it can\'t be played? Most quick runs are accomplished by triggering the \'run performance\' and not actually playing each note?

landford,

Simon Burgess came up with an interesting way of playing fast passages with GOS that may also apply to other libraries.

Here are a couple of demos of fast string lines:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/hasenGOS.mp3
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/hedwig_GOS.mp3

Here\'s how Simon created the effect (in how own words): \"The trill effect is quite simple in principle; you make your run with staccatos and it sounds awful right? Then you copy the part and have the trill play the run at the same time as the staccatos. Experiment from there and balance it all and you can get some good effects...\"The good old \'mix the trill in with the runs\' smooths it out. I\'ll say this though; making those runs is not easy! It takes ages...\"

Hope this helps,

Gary Garritan

Gary:

Thanks for real-world application info!

Much appreciated!

Tom

I found a midi file on the net and just assigned it to two different patches and tweaked them for a couple minutes. I used the VSL violins forte-legato patch, and an SI Ensemble Pizz patch. I ran a few bars through a bit of eq and verb to get this in about 10 minutes, \"sampled-run-free.\" It could sound a world better, but in 10 minutes, I think the possibilities with some real effort are obvious.

http://www.sonicrealities.com/WebMusic_for_SonicRealities/FBB_v1.mp3

I did try to do this with the SI strings, using various staccato patches, but in a moment decided it would be way easier to pull off with VSL. In my above post, I wasn\'t really saying that recorded runs are the way to go, but that they were available in the sample-sets of strings to facilitate even more convincing flourishes and runs.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    mike

Ok so it can\'t be played? Most quick runs are accomplished by triggering the \'run performance\' and not actually playing each note?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, you play each note. They\'re not recorded runs, if that\'s what you\'re asking. You should do some research on the performance tool, it\'s really amazing what you can do with it.

MIchealAngelo:

You\'re a great Man, Man! Thanks for taking that time, I am a veteran but am just getting heavy into the virtual sampler world after many years of Akais and Rolands. Amazing stuff with these libs!

Again appreciate your efforts.

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
    Hello All!

Was wondering about this; I have an upcomng project that needs to have a string passage similar to the opening line of \"The Flight of the Bummble Bee\". Can I hear opinions of which lib could accomplish this? Even if any of you have the time, possibly an MP3 of that line so I could hear how true to form it could sound?

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Simon \"Hasen\" Burgess was up to the challenge and has done a wonderful rendition of the Rimsky-Korsakov\'s classic \"The Flight of the bumblebee\":

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Flight_of_the_Bumblebee.mp3

Simon used GPO exclusively in this amazing this work. The GPO strings and woodwinds provide the very fast runs to create the musical \'bumblebee\'. Simon intersperses these runs with other instrumentation in this most famous of Rimsky-Korsakov\'s works.

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum