• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Little Yamaha CFX Offering

Share/Bookmark

A Little Yamaha CFX Offering

Hi All:

Been enjoying the new Garritan Abbey Road Yamaha CFX and recorded three (older) standards. I think the recording shows how magnificent the dynamic range is for this virtual instrument. Please listen here:

https://app.box.com/s/yfqt07jlzgdcaf27n4m5

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: A Little Yamaha CFX Offering

really nice Jack!

The Yamaha CFX sounds really nice with this genre.
    Dan

CFX good, excellent.
    Medley nice and sparkling.

Good, you posted this. Thanks,

Raymond

A wonderful offering for sure.

I have the Sinatra Rainy Day which is in his Capitol Years collection but I'm not as familiar with the older standards.

The Garritan CFX is really expressive, allowing the players talents to shine. There will be a more room in recording studios that was taken up by a large grand piano.

I was curious about how the Garritan CFX is for playing live as far as the usual slight latency compared to using on board digital piano sounds.

I'll be getting the Garritan CFX after I upgrade my storage

Phil

Hi Phil:

I'm using Digital Performer to play/record the Yamaha CFX. The normal latency is unnoticed when I set the buffer to 64 instead of 512 or 1024. I'm also using "Medium 1" velocity instead of the "default," as it appeals more to my touch. You hit the nail on the head when you talked about "expression" because that's a difficult parameter to display when using a virtual piano, but the CFX comes closer than anything else I have used to recreate my individual expressiveness.

I especially like it because the dynamic range is really good. The bass notes are heroic which is not a big deal these days, but the high notes captured my attention because they are definite pitch-sounding instead of sounding like blocks of wood. The pedals are also very responsive. Maybe someday a developer will include a "half-pedal." I haven't discovered that yet (if one is included) being so excited about everything else. When you play this piano, you don't get the feeling that you might be maxing out your computer as it rolls along with all types of fast scales and arpeggios without a hiccup.

And, I'm doing this on an older 2011 laptop (MacBook Pro, 2.2GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 with a 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200, and 8GB of RAM). I'm using a good keyboard too: Peavey C8p with 2 MW, PW, 4 MIDI outs, 4 sliders and other goodies. The downside is that Peavey isn't making this keyboard anymore. Stopped production around 5-6 years ago or more. Initial cost was about $1200 sale price.

Amazing set up, in my opinion.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

The CFX sounds very good, but your arrangements and playing sound fantastic. Jay

Nice use of this new sampled piano. It really does sound excellent as do your arrangements of these tunes. Thanks for sharing.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you Dan, Raymond, Phil, Jay and Rich R. for your kind responses. The piano does sound really fine, but it takes a little getting used to because the Yamaha CFX is a virtual piano and needs that "electronic contact" to fully express one's performance objectives. When I sit at a real piano, I KNOW what to expect as I apply my hands; with a virtual piano, I hope for the same experience, but that never happens. The Yamaha CFX, though, comes closer to that expectation than any others that I have played.

Thanks also for your inspiring responses regarding the arrangements. It's always nice to hear that any audience, large or small, is pleased with what they hear.

I'll keep plugging away and try to send some more music of a different genre.

Jack

Go Back to forum