• Register
  • Help

Topic: choosing a string library

choosing a string library

I\'m in the market for an orchestral string library. Can anyone advise me on the strengths/weaknesses of the Garritan, Hunter, and (if anyone\'s heard more than a demo yet) Sonic Implants offerings? How do the street prices compare? Thanks, GW

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: choosing a string library

Originally posted by gregwardson:
    I\'m in the market for an orchestral string library. Can anyone advise me on the strengths/weaknesses of the Garritan, Hunter, and (if anyone\'s heard more than a demo yet) Sonic Implants offerings? How do the street prices compare? Thanks, GW
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Greg,

I don\'t think you can do better than GOS for a foundation string collection. It has more bowings, more creative options, and more flexibility of expression than any other string library today.

One of the very best features of the library is the producer himself. Gary Garritan has done fine work for GigaStudio since it was new technology--his Harp library is still one of the nicest overall libraries for Giga, and he has always included some nice programming features to make the GigaStudio technology go farther.

With the Harp, you could send controller information to tune the strings authentically, i.e., non-chromatically so that you can perform realtime glisses with all the right note doubles, etc.

With the strings library, there is an entire bundled \"smart-MIDI\" application which provides advanced mapping features not available with GigaStudio alone.

Finally, I\'d say that it\'s extremely well recorded, very well played on fine instrumentsw, and that the amount of loyalty from producer to consumer is extremely high. The packaging is very lovely, and you will not lack for great gobs of documentation. Already, Gary has provided two great upgrades to the library free of charge, and I don\'t think he\'d mind me saying that a third MAJOR one is on the way. I have had an opportunity to hear some of it, and it\'s VERY nice. Lots of new material. I\'m not sure if any of it is a \"surprise\" but there are some new instruments that really enhance playability and realism simultaneously. Some of the names you see on this group are big contributors to it, and I believe this is a nice testament to the way customers have been treated. Once you\'ve bought into GOS, you are very well taken care of.

One word of advice with GOS. Don\'t skimp on the computer--all that playability comes at a cost, and your box will need to handle Giga\'s full 160 voices if you expect to really push the envelope.

The second recommendation I would make is Miroslav\'s strings. Sure, the collection is older, and not originally designed for Giga, but it\'s still one of the most musical sets of samples around. You will find amazing beauty in Miroslav\'s work. This is the reason it has held value, despite many offerings since which are technologically more advanced.

Another older collection you may wish to investigate is Denny Jaeger Master Violin Collection. Originally for hardware synths, this is a looped ensemble violin collection, which has some nice aggressive and soft bowings, and good effects. If you can find it at a nice price somewhere, it may have some use for you. I wouldn\'t consider it a \"foundation,\" but more a nice set of colors to add to a foundation.

Yet another good library that\'s getting a little old is Advanced Orchestra. It has many characteristic phrases for all orchestral instruments, in addition to single note samples. Not the deepest collection, but quite \"wide.\" People still use it all the time. It\'s a little bit of everything...not only strings but the entire brass, woodwind, and percussion spectrum....again, not particularly deeply sampled on every instrument, but the phrases are probably worth the price of admission, especially if you can find a nice discount somewhere.

I don\'t have any experience with the Kirk Hunter strings, but he has been a recent contributor here, and I have heard some good things about the collection. I have also not heard the Sonic Implants product, so you may want to seek advice from someone who could provide a comparison.

Hopefully that gets you a little farther down the road to your choice. Good luck. Right now, I\'m doing some string writing with GOS, and I just have to say that I\'m really having a great time with it, and don\'t think you can go wrong there as a very full-bore starting point.

Bruce: Thank you so much for your detailed and informative reply. I hadn\'t heard about the upgrades offered for the GOS package, but from what I\'ve heard original strings sound great and are very \"playable, so they must be even better now. I\'m seriously considering the harp based on your recommendation. Once again, thanks for taking the time. GW

Playing devil\'s advocate here. The SI demos show that it may be a library work considering. The demos show some problems that could possibly be fixed with some programming tweaks, but also shows how some of the character of the recordings (bow grat, etc) translate into performances.

I have GOS, and dont have SI strings, but think both are quite fantastic libraries. If I had to choose between one, It\'d be a hard choice. I\'d say GOS, mostly because I\'ve used it and know its quirks and good points. Not to mention most of the things users ahve asked to see changed are showing up in an upcoming Update package. This is by far too cool.

Anyhow, its a hard time to be in the market for a new string library [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .....atleast a hard time on your pocketbook

Go Back to forum