• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Virtuoso Series Orchestral Brass, Woodwinds (and Strings II)

Virtuoso Series Orchestral Brass, Woodwinds (and Strings II)

We\'re in the studios and halls churning out tons of stuff for the Virtuoso Series Brass, Woodwinds, and Strings II. It\'ll be HUGE HUGE HUGE... At this point, we\'re all ears as to what you folks using Giga would like to have us record that\'s not out there as yet.

Kirk and the gang

Re: Virtuoso Series Orchestral Brass, Woodwinds (and Strings II)

Well I\'ll be first to say (if I\'m quick enough at typing that is) that we need FFFFFFFF brass ensembles! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh an emotional Celli ensembles...

Divisi strings sections?

An assortment of brass staccatos? If you will, \'up and down\' strokes for brass or I think the more correct term is double tonguing.

Nice to meet you Kirk. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A really good, playable solo violin and viola which i can play Vivaldi - Winter with [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

Some people ask for too much.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

London, UK

Welcome to the forum Kirk.

Yes, I would like to see some really good cello and basses. None of the string libraries I have worked with have celli that can REALLY sing.

I think it would be good to have non vibrato, medium and heavier vibrato on all strings.

A powerful french horn section with LOTS of attack is also really needed.

How about some flutter tonguing on the brass samples?

When are you intending releasing this library?

Good luck!

Kirk, this is interesting. Of course we all want the HOLLYWOOD BRASS sound. Listen to some of Thomas J.\'s stuff if you haven\'t already. Listen to John Williams, listen to Jerry Goldsmith, listen to other Hollywood composers - THAT sound. 6-8 horns. Different lengths, maybe short half/whole-note slide ups/downs for legato.

3-4 velocities - from p to fff. And possibly accented notes for accented melody lines, where the attack of the notes are marked. And velocities on staccatos too - not just sustains!

Well for me brass is the #1 important sample category really lacking at the moment, so I don\'t have much to comment on the rest, except maybe strings. How about soft, slow bowing sections with a lot of vibrato - for that \'tender\' sound.

Do we really need French horns that much? Everybody is always talking about horns but I think we can handle power horns pretty well at least for sustains anyway. Trombones on the other hand we need desperately. Powerful trombone ensembles/solos.

In general I think staccato brass is more required than sustains so make sure they really sting and have the double tonguing effect with alternates. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Simon, are you saying we want a recording of 6-8 horns playing? I don\'t think we do. Most orchestras use just four. The LSO uses four. They just need to be recorded at FFFF and they\'ll be fine. Lower velocities as well of course but its more difficult to add power than it is to take it away.

Multiple Mic samples. Atleast two So all the griping end users can mix their own \"ambience\" (edit the samples at the same point). Its not as hard as everyone keeps saying it is. I\'ve developed some ways to get this to work even on the popular two track editors.

most libraries are inbetween.

Multiple samples for short articulations

I agree with Simon 6-8 horns for an overexageratted horn sound.

interval samples, up and down.

atleast four dynamics for each articulation

Multiple speed Tremolos and multiple speed trills

Runs and rips and fills

hall ambience/noise for layering

vibrato version strings, AND very expressive version strings even in piano/sordino.

Various sustain sample attacks.

Most users are screaming for out of the box playability, whatever the heck that REALLY is. I\'ll leave that to you to figure out how.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

We also need samples that will let us do some realtime woodwind trills (especially flutes). Maybe using release triggers for alternating notes (up and/or down). Then we could do Accelerandos and other nifty things with trills.

Welcome Kirk Hunter! First of all let me just say how much I love your strings library. It has really helped me a lot. I think you know exactly what is missing in the libraries today as we obviously have a similar idea of what an orchestra should sound like. You also know what is missing in your strings library. (MP and F isn\'t enough really [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you are interested I have a lot of ideas for your brass and woodwinds that you can benefit from. Email me at jzjz@online.no if you wish. I have some experience recording brass myself, and thus I know what problems you will be facing (and I have suggestions on how to deal with them in an efficient way)

I\'m excited to see you working on new libraries! Good luck!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast