• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do not underestimate the power of Roland!

Re: Do not underestimate the power of Roland!

Gorgeous writing as usual, Thomas. But what is \"hexapolyphony\"? A hexachord? 6-part counterpoint? That F-minor (F-Ab-C) over G#sus4 (G#-C#-D#) that you mention comprises only 5 pitch classes, assuming G#/Ab enharmonic equivalence. Regardless, I can never get enough of your music. So expressive and lovely!

P.S. Has anyone converted the Roland libraries to Giga format?

Sorry Pat, that may not be the english term. In norwegian the 6 part voicing is called \"hexapolyfonikk\", and if you listen to the basses it moves around and returns to the 6th note in that harmonic texture: Bb [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You catch my drift?

Thank you for listening, but it was really meant to display the roland strings more than anything else [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Try laying it out on the piano, it\'s a really lovely harmony I think.

Basses: Bb
    Celli: G# & D#
    Violas: F & C#
    2nd vln: F
    1st vln: C

This is my decided harmonization. The G# in celli is masked and airy and provides the harmonic texture with spice rather than a clear bright and evil prominence. I would probably have written con sordino for everything but basses and 2nd celli. It really is an airy chord.

Anyway, lets not get too hung up on this topic, Pat [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'d love to talk music theory with you through email or something if you are interested. I\'m sure you know a lot that I can benefit from, hehe [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bingo! Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, despite the voicing and spacing (which are wonderful), as well as pitch names, I hear that sonority as a Bb-minor-11th chord (close position: Bb-Db-F-Ab-C-Eb). Regardless, it\'s a beautiful chord.

OK, since the demo was really about the Roland strings, perhaps you can answer the question: Have you tried to convert the Roland strings to Giga format?

Also, what about the brass? Someone mentioned a while ago that the brass consists of intervals, which should get around the transition (\"between-the-notes\") problem (I think Rob Kral used that expression).

Yes, I have converted them semi-successfully using CDxtract, but I hear Chickensys Translator does a better job at Roland. I had to do quite a lot of tuning and editing myself, but it was well worth it.

The brass is very useful too. The legato intervals are useful only to a certain extent because they are limited to two fundamental notes (A fifth I think, in the middle register of the horns) (from which you can select intervals ranging from minor 3rd to an octave, but only upward intervals. No downwards unfortunately)

And there aren\'t any interval samples for the other brass instruments. Only horns. It\'s a 5mb patch with terrible loops, but you can mask that quite efficiently using the solo horn as well. It\'s a little difficult to explain since it\'s so technical and you really need to hear the samples to understand it I think.

Very nice Thomas, I particularly like the Celli as they are very emotional as you say, even if they aren\'t the greatest recordings.

I wonder which library does have the most emotional celli? I would say Kirk H has the most emotional violins but for celli I couldn\'t say for sure. Does anyone know?

Thomas: Just wondering. How do you (mainly) control the dynamic expression? Midi control surface? Sliders? Drawing them in by hand? Envelopes? Aftertouch?
    And oh yes, another beautiful piece. You really know how to set the bar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Hasen. I believe these roland celli are the most emotional ones I\'ve encountered. Certainly smokes Kirk Hunter\'s IMO. Don\'t know about GOS or SI though. They might be good as well, but I haven\'t really heard anything truely emotional in demos for either products. Some demos can\'t cover everything I guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dwdonehoo: Thanks again [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have 3 different synths (master keyboards) from different makers that have different C11 controllers. I usually use the one on my roland (A slider and modulation/bender thingy), but the korg and yamaha ones are nice too. The Yamaha has the longest throw, and it comes in handy when I\'m doing finetuning to fx. a solo part. But in the end it really depends on what I\'m doing. I sometimes use the footpedal too, especially when laying down ideas requiring both hands at the keyboard [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Thomas,

I think Eric Persing was responsible for most of Roland\'s original libraries; I had the pleasure of speaking to him last week on a demonstration; a very friendly guy!
    Anyway, he said that he worked on those orchestral libraries, but would probably not undertake something like that again because it was more interesting bussiness-wise to do beat libraries and such.
    Zimmer and Siedlaczek also contributed to them.

Do you have the original libraries or the recently re-released ones for the XV series?
    I\'ve been thinking about getting them since I really liked the expansion boards(cut down versions of the orignal libs); I still use the Horns on those, they have an excellent bite to them! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok Joris! I have the old ones. Don\'t know much about the new ones, really. The new ones might have something that the old ones don\'t have, and v. versa. The old one seems to be hard to get nowadays though. Out of stock everywhere. Perhaps calling roland directly would help.

Go Back to forum