• Help

Topic: Help - Looking for samples

Share/Bookmark

Help - Looking for samples

I\'m looking for samples of

Accordion
    Squeeze box (assorted)
    Bagpipe

Sample programs need to be of the highest quality and preferably ready to go right out of the box. I don\'t have the luxury of time to tweak samples on this project.

Any suggestions?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Help - Looking for samples

Originally posted by notejockey:
    I\'m looking for samples of

Accordion
    Squeeze box (assorted)
    Bagpipe

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'s what I\'d use:

Accordion/Squeezebox

Bardstown Vintage Accordions--esoteric, very pristine accordions, well recorded in top condition.

Post Accordions--Some large and some small instruments which have a wide range of tones. I forget which instrument it is in the collection (maybe Michiel could tell you) but there\'s one small-sounding accordion that will pass for a squeezebox. These are a little funkier than the Bardstown accordions, like walking into that little Amsterdam accordion shop in the district and playing instruments off the shelf.

Bagpipe--Best I\'ve heard are the pipes in Nick Phoenix\'s Rare Instruments. The articulations include a lot of very typical ornamentations, which are extremely realistic. You could very likely fool the most diligent listener with these. Not only that, but there\'s a wealth of great material there.

I\'ve had good experiences with all three of these libraries. Good luck.

Bruce

Scottish and Uilleann Pipes (3 pitch drones sampled single and as chords). extremely hi res with 8 layers of different ornaments selectable by modwheel plus short licks:

http://vrsound.com/index2.html

(no Uilleann pipes demo yet, sorry)

Nick\'s bagpipes (both Scottish and Uilleann pipes) on RI are stunning. In fact, these are two samples where I\'d have to say that actually improving on them may not even be possible.

I\'m Scottish myself and grew up with the sound of these two instruments. Nick has done a sterling job with them. There is also a low Irish flute on RI that I\'m sure you\'ll find a use for (and a lot of other great stuff; and I mean great, the duduk is beautiful).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Cool Franz...didn\'t know you had bagpipes, too. You have sampled a little bit of everything.

Franz\'s samples are always interesting because he\'s a real stereophile when it comes to mic techniques and his libraries really image strongly. To this day, I totally dig the suitcase Rhodes samples on the VR Sound collection. I turned the \"barks\" up extra hot (well, actually I turned the lower layers down) and use quite a bit of compression on the backside, which smooths the dynamics back out but lets the first 20 or so milliseconds of the popping attack through. NemeScam (hehe, just a joke) needs to get their act together on GFX and get a slamming compressor algorithm, license it, do whatever, but GET IT. A lot of issues people have with their Giga mixes are directly attributable to lack of decent compression. I can\'t believe it wasn\'t in the first round of effects. Compression is one of the few processes universal to production in every musical genre. Compression is the most transparent way to radically change an instrument\'s character, probably more so than EQ. Whenever you have a mix that \"won\'t mix\" it\'s because something, somewhere, needs to be compressed. Generally, compression will fatten up a \"thin\" sounding track much more transparently than EQ. Some people use compressors as effects more than processors, so having the compressor in the chain really needs to be part of the performance itself, not an afterthought--especially on an application like the Rhodes. I just use my old DBX on the analog outs. Hey, I need some reason to plug it in now and then. It\'s basically just gathering dust in the studio, so I stuck it in my live rack.

Z6, you couldn\'t be more right about Rare Instruments. I use all kinds of things from that CD, and generally not in the way they\'re intended. I\'ve got the Tabla rigged on a little 5-spot lap pad, and it\'s a gas to play live. I have also used one of the Taikos (the one with tons of bass, I can\'t remember the name) for a really aggressive orchestral bass drum...it\'s got a lot of slap and low end. Good couple o\' gongs, too. You can never have enough of those.

Go Back to forum