• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice on Vocal Library

Share/Bookmark

Advice on Vocal Library

I\'m looking for a general purpose vocal library and from posts I\'ve read, it seems that either
    Voices of the Apoc. or Symphony of Voices would be the two to pick from. Any thoughts out
    there from those of you who own one or both? [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Re: Advice on Vocal Library

Don\'t overlook Vocal Planet, also from Eric Persing (SOV). More a range of vocal styles on vocal planet than standard choral voicings.

Well... SoV does have that boys choir and a lot of fx, but lacks that loud, strong, \"Hollywood\" sound that VotA has. Some phrases are thrown in, but imo most of them have already been quite overused. Keep in mind that you\'d also have to convert.

And on the other hand, VotA is only male and female, with few fx and no boys choir. The word-building feature is pretty cool (and will become less time-consuming with neat programs coming out to do some of it for you), and the expression control is great.

I own VotA, and my only gripes are:

1) lack of documentation on the consonant patches (I\'d like a little handy \"guide\" saying which is where, y\'know?). No big deal, though. It\'s pretty self-explanatory and you could make a little \"cheat sheet\" yourself.

2) I\'d REALLY like to ocassionally get a straighter, non-vib tone (doesn\'t have to be exact, but fairly NV) at softer velocities, but there always seems to be that vibrato coming through the mix (it\'s fine on some, but on others it\'s pretty strong). I knew before buying that it\'s not what VotA was aiming for, but still... Maybe I can soften it up a bit with EQ and \'verb and make do with that.

The difficulty of the word-building doesn\'t even bother me. At first you\'re like \"huh?!\" and have no idea how to make it sound right, but it\'ll click and then the learning curve starts to drop a little more rapidly.

So anyway... SoV covers a wider range, but you might be frustrated by the lack of of raw power. VotA has that power, but you might (miiiight) be frustrated if you suddenly need a much, much softer tone (btw, there ARE a few non-vib patches that you could probably end up substituting, just so you know).

I chose the newer, Giga-native VotA over SoV, and I\'m happy with that choice. Though who\'s to say that I wouldn\'t be happy if it were the other way around? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks for your input, Chadwick and Rooftop - I really appreciate it. Anybody else?

General Purpose?

SoV

VotA is more \"focused\" IMO. Some say its not suited for soft stuff...but I have gotten some nice results with soft stuff. Still SoV, is more \"general Purpose IMO

Mr Idiot,

Thanks for your input.
    R.

Originally posted by runamuck:
    Mr Idiot,

Thanks for your input.
    R.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I love VOTA. I wasn\'t that impressed out of the box, but I\'ve used it on several things now and am impressed. My only gripes are key to key consistency in timbre...to the point of speculating that there must be some serious stretching of samples going on. Could be wrong, don\'t know. Just sounds funny here and there as you go from note to note. But I love the library. It is the most realistic thing I\'ve heard out there.

\"It is the most realistic thing I\'ve heard out there.\"

Oh, yeah, definitely. You want realism, go for VotA. It has more of a \"natural\" feel than most libraries, for sure. Definitely stays away from that \"processed to death\"/\"too perfect\" sound that many people are beginning to somewhat gripe about (and I agree with \'em).

Tom,

With Vota version 2.0

there is a lot of filter work going on. I actually hear very little stretching/pitching going on.

I however did some of my own formant shifted variations of the higher range \"soft\" patches. To get rid of some of the excess vibrato up there. It didn\'t soudn too bad IMO. I may go abck and try it with Melodyne at some point.

Anyhow. about the filtering. I try and stick to a \"Set\" velocity when I work with libraries like this. That way filter anomolies dont get in the way. I\'m also going to reset the attenuation on the \"soft\" layer to be a few db lower than the \"expressive\" samples so I get some volume curve as well with the expression control. That and a lower dynamic range with the filter and velocity should help. Then I\'ll switch from the \"switched\" velocity approach. Giving me a little more play with volume, but not too much that It jsut sounds inconsistant.

I also find Siedleczecks Extended Classical Choir pretty useful. While not as versatile as SoV, and not as feature filled as VotA. It still sounds pretty good, and is quite useful..... and cheaper.

Runamuck,

Hi, I just got SOV and I like it very much. I was concerned about the conversion from AKAI to Giga but the SConvertor in Gigastudio worked nicely. The SOV library is beautifully done. It seems to be very practically recorded and thought out. It is highly versatile, IMO.

I should say, I plan to also purchase the VOTA, Vocal Planet and Peter Siedlaczek\'s Extended Choir too.

Best Regards,
    Garius Hill

Go Back to forum