• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sirens, Crowd noise, mumbles, machine sounds, etc???

Share/Bookmark

Sirens, Crowd noise, mumbles, machine sounds, etc???

Hello,

This is my first time looking for a sound effect library in akai or giga format. Here\'s some of the sounds I would like to use:

1) police, fire sirens.
    2) screams, crowd noise, people mumbling, etc.
    3) machine noise, industrial type noise.
    4) gun shots, weapon noise, exlosions, etc.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: Sirens, Crowd noise, mumbles, machine sounds, etc???

Try www.hollywoodedge.com - most of it is in audio format, but I think they made some of it in GS format recently.

Thanks Simon!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Try www.hollywoodedge.com - most of it is in audio format, but I think they made some of it in GS format recently.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi,

Simon is dead-on. You will not be able to beat the Hollywood Edge collection, although you are talking about a real investment there. I do a lot of theater and video scoring, and a significant part of that is sound design as well as music. I have tried (and spend a great deal of cash) on about every sound effects library you can imagine, and Hollywood Edge is definitely the top-shelf choice. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

They have two levels of participation. One is the full bore, seventy-different-types-of-celery-being-chewed, foley type. The other is called, I believe, The Edge edition, and it is a more varied, less detailed sound collection. There is not a difference in the quality of sounds, only in the quantity of each type of sound.

The very cool thing about Hollywood Edge is that it\'s all very deeply integrated into the QuickSound search engine. I touched on this in my \"Hot Tips\" article in Keyboard last year. For instance, you can search for \"Footsteps wood\" and get only footsteps that are on wood, or \"Footsteps not wood\" and get every other surface. You just drag them onto the Distributed Wave window and there they are. From there, you have lots of controller support--for instance, the mod wheel is rigged for highpass filtering, so that you can get a very quick blend into your target soundfield. Another use is for controlling occlusion effects--say you\'re putting an outdoor street ambience into a streetside apartment. You\'d want the highs rolled off so that the noise sounded as if it were coming from outside, but you\'d want to roll the mod wheel and let those highs come back through if a door were opened into the room on picture.

Anyway, the short version is yes, this is a great collection and I can\'t think of a better one.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Go Back to forum