• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hi again!

In order to avoid misunderstandings:
    We are a private company, everybody here works with great enthusiasm and energy to realise our vision of a virtual orchestra.
    As some of you find the dimensions of our work hard to believe, even today, you may understand how hard it was to establish the financing and realisation years ago.
    After more than 2 years of trial and error, our project-developer Herb Tucman had the luck to meet the right person, who understood the potential of his ideas and decided to “just do it”.

And here are the most important infos regarding our project:

Packages / Price Ranges

Our library won´t be sold on CDs.
    Our packaging philosophy and the prices for the first release are not sure yet, a lot depends on our solutions concerning the structure of distribution and things like that, but there we will probably release the following products:

1 Strings & Harp
    2 Brass & Woodwinds
    3 Percussion

each version will contain about 15.000 – 30.000 Samples
    Price/version will be between 400 – 1.400 $
    Distribution on DVD- Collections

40.000 – 50.000 Samples
    Prices between 1.700 – 2.000 $
    Distribution on DVD- Collections

90.000 – 110.000 Samples
    3.500 – 4.000 $
    Distribution on DVD- Collections or harddiscs

300.000 – 400.000 Samples
    8.500 – 10.000 $
    Distribution on harddiscs

There may be a single-DVD-version (orchestral basics)- 400-500 $

Anyway we´re planning to produce a Teaser CD-Rom with more than 500 MB Gigfiles that we´re going to sell at our own Cd Production- and distribution costs. (5-10$)

Release Date

As we mentioned before, the introduction of our product will be at the SAE Convention in LA in autumn.
    Distribution will start as soon as Gigastudio 3 is available on the market.

Single tone samples

different articulations (soft, normal, marcato)
    different intensities of vibrato
    3 – 6 dynamic-layers depending on the instrument and the articulation
    different lengths of tones (especially with „short“ notes) in many variations

(we don´t believe in Crossfadelayering, especially concerning solo-instruments)
    lengths from 0,5 – 8 sec
    with and without vibrato
    different intensities (e.g.: light: pp-p; medium: mf-ff; strong: ff-pp)
    Specials: fp, sfz, sffz, crescendi-diminuendi (espressivo)

(one of the biggest problems for MIDI-orchestration, with fast repetitions many single-tone-variations don´t seem to be a solution to us; most of all the difference between the first and the following samples is too big with most instruments.Basically we can say, that once an instrument starts to sound, the character of each following attack sounds very different.

That´s why we decided to record repetitions, divided into the following categories:

1 – 4 times offbeats
    Tempo 16th Notes at Tempo 80-200BPM
    3 Dynamiclayers

4 – 8 repetitions of one tone
    differences in artculation: legato, portato, staccato
    Tempo quarter note at Tempo 60 to 16th Note at Tempo 200BPM
    3 Dynamiclayers, crescendi, diminuendi

Basic rhythm-patterns like syncopated notes etc.
    Tempovariations from 16th Notes at Tempo 80-160BPM

Phrase Samples

Basic Phrases
    Triller, Gracenotes, Glissandi, etc

Intervalls in halftonesteps up to one octave up and down
    Variations with a startingtone, that´s “far away” = the sample starts with the ambience of the starting tone.
    Legato and portato variations
    with strings it´s slide- and nonslide-variations
    with and without vibrato
    2-3 Dynamiclayers

We record everything that cannot be reproduced properly with single-tone-programming in complex and totally flexible phrase-moduls. A further description would lead too far at this point.

But here´s the short version:
    Runs sorted by diatonic and chromatic principals, divided again in different tempo-variations, rhythmic attenuation on the “3” and “4”, 2 dynamic variations

Special phrases, arpeggios, broken chords and so on…

INSTRUMENTS Release 1

Solo Brass:
    Trumpet in C
    Bass Trumpet
    Vienna Horn F
    Tenor Trombone
    Bass Trombone
    Contrabass Trombone
    Bass Tuba F
    Contrabass Tuba B

Brass Ensembles
    3 Trumpets
    4 Horns
    3 Trombones

Solo Woodwinds

String Ensembles
    14 Violins
    10 Violas
    8 Celli
    6 Contrabassi

over 50 Instruments from Timpanis to Waterphone

All the instruments you´re missing here follow with the 2nd release, plus we´ll be extending the contents of the instruments of the first release

Here´s some answers:

Simon Ravn
    Ralf I did some calculations. If we say each sample is an average of 4 secs long and it is samples in 16-bit 44khz, 3*400.000 samples equals 4200GB of data.... uhm yes, I dont buy this

Sorry Simon, we cannot agree with your calculation:
    44,1 kHz 16Bit Mono
    ((44100*2)/1024)/1024)= 0.084 MB per sec.
    Stereo = 0.168 MB per sec
    1200000 Samples each 4sec long = 788,5 Gig

I don\'t know, can anyone actually use a library with so many samples? You\'d need 100 computers just to load them up! How much is this gonna cost anyway? A million pounds?

Maarten Spruijt
    Uhm... make that 0,001%
    Or 0,00025% for people with \"just\" one Giga-PC.

You load, what you need. There will be layout setups and every user can go deeper in the library to get the “fine-tuning”. Nobody will need all the instruments with all their variations at the same time. But we believe it´s important, that you can rely on the fact, that all the resources are available in the future to put a solo-instrument in the foreground or to reconstruct a wellknown orchestral symphony authentically etc.

Apart from that we will be able to get 4-8 Gig Ram in each Gigastudio-computer in the near future. We can imagine, that the preloading-time will be (much) shorter, let´s say 25% of the time we need now.
    So we believe that soon it won´t be a problem anymore to load 40.000-80.000 samples in your computer by simply using the streaming-technology.

Further on we think, that the gigastudio-technology is the ideal platform for keyboard-orientated working. We hope, that the number of layers will be increased massively with version 3, cause that´s when flexible working-processes with more complex instruments will no longer be a dream
    In our opinion score-orientated working will be the next step. We are already working on our own developments in this direction, precisely speaking the aim is to avoid the limitations due to RAM by linking the system with a relational sample-data-base.

I hope these informations are sufficient for the moment,

Best wishes, Ralf

Re: Introducing the VIENNA SYMPHONIC LIBRARY

Originally posted by KingIdiot:

All the instruments you´re missing here follow with the 2nd release, plus we´ll be extending the contents of the instruments of the first release

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh, I get it...good angles correct?

doesnt matter! I want my soundz!

\"8.500 – 10.000 $ Distribution on harddiscs\"

Only around $9000.00...I hope Wal-Mart stocks this so I can use my Wally World discount card! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, but I gotta say this Quixotic quest for the virtual orchestra is getting out of hand. Can\'t we just hire a damn orchestra anymore? I like great sounds as much as anyone, but aren\'t we closing in on the limits of reasonableness? I don\'t mean technically (surely quantum computers will arrive next fall), I mean financially and socially. All these violists and wind players out of work, all these computer geeks making big bucks under flouresent lighting and Mountain Dew. Enough already.

Hell, if I can have sounds that get even CLOSER to a real orchestra, I\'ll sell the kids for em\'. Hiring an orchestra to play a piece costs too much. When you have an orchestra at your fingertips, it\'s instantaneous and gratifying. It may take time to hone your skills of orchestration, but these tools that I have have allowed me to learn orchestration, technique, and tonal character. But 8,500 to 10,000? Um....

Hi Ralf,

Just out of curiosity:

You say that you start distribution just after giga version 3.0 is out. How can you program everyting to take advantage of this new version so soon after the release? As far as I am concerned there aren\'t any 3.0 beta\'s out there yet. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I am a part of the beta-team and I have also contributed with ideas to the new version, so I feel a bit confused about this.

PS. It sounds like you have many visions and money! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But have you considered the fact that buyers need many extra computers (and room) for this too along with the prize of the libraries?

And a BIG midi-interface...

It sounds like a \"crazy\" marketing plan [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] , but maybe you don\'t need a profit on this?

I wish I had run into a millionaire when I started my sample libraries...

If the story is true, we are looking foreward to the bigest sound-puzzle ever. My crystal ball told me how it will go on: Forget instruments and soundbanks - I see a database with all the available soundsnippets available at lightspeed. At a given time (second) of the biggest symphony the number of concurrent sounds is very small and the system has to preload only the sounds who are played next. Sampler and sequenzer will melt together to form a new music composing and editing system that still looks a bit foggy ......
    maybe the english term keyboard is a prophecy?

Thanks for the detail Ralf.

A couple more questions:

\"Distribution on DVD- Collections or harddiscs\"
    What do you mean by \"Harddiscs\"?

Any reason you aren\'t doing solo cello?
    Any reason you aren\'t doing ensemble woodwinds?

You\'re putting a lot of emphasis on phrases and rhythmic figures. Even with many tempo and mode variations, do you think these are going to be widely useable by users who don\'t also have access to something like Melodyne?

Is there a reason the library won\'t (or can\'t?) be released until after Gigastudio V3 is released? I was unaware that a release date for V3 had been fixed. What if Tascam run into delays?

Again, thanks for the info, it\'s tantalising.

How about this for a pitch:

\"Orchestra samples - its not just a drug anymore...\"

I guess for $10k there better be a return policy if we don\'t like it!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum