• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Garritan Challenge 31

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Challenge 31

Hi Friends!

It's time again for a new Garritan Challenge ... No. 31!

When Leonard Bernstein wrote the music to West Side Story, he created a score that broke all previous musical theater molds. It’s almost impossible to categorize the music … there’s elements of classical, jazz, Latin, pop, dance and many other influences … the music was about as original as Broadway had ever heard.

One of the interesting devices Bernstein used was the extensive use of the tritone interval. Besides using it throughout the score, he prominently featured it in four songs … Maria, Jet Song, Cool, and Something’s Coming. The tritone is a very difficult interval to sing (let alone play!), so this was very unusual in 1957!

Challenge 31 uses the tritone in three of the four measures as the basis for the short theme. For contrast and balance, my large tritone leaps are either preceded or followed by a minor second.

If you're not familiar with tritones, they have a very distinctive flavor, and there’s several definitions (here's two) … three whole tones separating the interval, or, six semi-tones between the notes. In C-Major, this translates to C-F#. And if you stack a tritone above the F#, you end right back on C an octave higher. So another way to look at it is that a tritone splits the octave exactly in half. Also, in basic harmony, every root position dominant seventh chord contains a tritone between the 3rd and the minor seventh (in a C7 chord, E-Bb is a tritone).

Have fun with this! Although presented in C-Major, I’m not implying a tonal center. This obtuse melody will work in many tonalities. Feel free to transpose the theme for orchestration considerations, and you may arrange your music at any tempo.

I ask that the four measure theme be prominently featured, in the notated rhythmic pattern, at least once (but not necessarily the first four measures of your arrangement). IOW, as usual, let's all be able to clearly hear the source material at least once in each arrangement ... the rest is completely open to your imaginations!

Englishgent has once again graciously agreed to host the voting phase for the challenge (Thank You, Owen!).

Your arrangements should be between 1-3 minutes long.

All mp3 arrangements should be sent to OWEN@jinglecues.com.

Deadline is midnight, EDST, Monday, July 14th.

(Due to the long 4th of July Weekend here in the USA, I’m suggesting a tad longer for this challenge)

Notation and MIDI files are available below for download ...

Garritan Challenge 31 - MIDI

I hope you will give Challenge 31 a “tri”! ... Best regards and GOOD LUCK!!

Frank

(Like Rich, the creator of Challenge 30, I will sit this one out and enjoy your arrangements!)
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Re: Garritan Challenge 31

WooHoo, This should be fun!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Woohoo!

Think this challenge will be too hard for you? It ain't necessarily so!!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Yes, but he had his tri-tone resolving up to the next tone -Maria, I just met a girl with Dia.... I'll skip that, but the point is, yours moves down. Nice move...UGH! Now that makes it a challenge!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Excellent, Frank - Thanks for getting this going - It's a very cool Challenge you've created. Maybe I can find time to work on it this time around.

Randy

Friends!

So glad to hear you guys chime in with your comments! I hope more forum members will decide to jump in and share in the arranging fun ... and THAT is exactly what these challenges are if you've never entered. Give it a try, gang!

Rich and Owen ... thanks for the "woo-hoos" ... yes, I think this challenge can be some fun! Can't wait to hear how this little theme is developed. (And, Owen ... Excellent reference with "Aint Necessarily So" ... yes, tritones in there too! Haha, good one!)

Bill ... Yeah, I just met a girl who resolved up a semitone, but since she kicked me to the curb, there was nowhere to go but down. Yes, this does make the theme a bit more challenging, but this should be right up your alley!

Randy ... Thank you! It would be wonderful if you could pry yourself away from electrodes and forehead staples just long enough to unleash the Bowser touch on No. 31! (or is it now the Bowser torch, as in unruley townspeople!)

Let the arranging begin!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

How hard and fast is the three minute limit?

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sharpe View Post
    How hard and fast is the three minute limit?

Ed
    Hi Ed,

I think Owen (Englishgent),who pretty much resurrected and hosts the challenges, should offer some direction here.

My two cents is that I don't think it's a 1-3 minute brick wall, but rather a guide. Historically, though, most arrangements have been within this range, and as a listener, it's nice to run through 7-8 entries in 15-20 minutes.

As a fan of your arrangements, I hope you'll join in and create one for No. 31!

Frank

Frank D'Erasmo

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Ed, I think Owen (Englishgent),who pretty much resurrected and hosts the challenges, should offer some direction here.

I am sure that we won't reject an entry just because it's 3 minutes 30 seconds! However, I agree with Frank - if your entry is super-long, people voting on the entries may not even listen to the whole thing. Therefore, it would not be in your favor to exceed the limit by too much. We want to attract as many voters as possible, and if we end up with, say, 10 entries of 3 mins each, that's already 30 minutes of listening we are asking of people.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Cool Re: Garritan Challenge 31

Thank you all for the clarification; when I asked my questions I was pushing three and half minutes. Since then I cut two sections and got it under three minutes only to add back some shorter sections and I am now at exactly three minutes. We will see if it stays there.
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Go Back to forum