• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the Ideal setup?

What\'s the Ideal setup?

Alright, I thought I had everything going for me with a 768 Megs of Ram, Gina 24/96, 80 Gig harddrive, 1 gigahertz processor, and a TON of sound libraries. I have Cakewalk and Gigastudio on my ONE computer. Just recently, I\'ve heard that people use several computers to run setups so they are UNLIMITED at what they can do. I find myself still limited after a month of using it, because my orchestrations are usually huge. What\'s the ideal setup so that you can compose without having any limitations in polyphony, and a much more vast amount of space for patches?

Re: What\'s the Ideal setup?

Polyphony is my first ceiling.
    160 poly = 80 stereo notes, which sounds like less when you allow for voices decaying as new voices are played.
    The only way to \'expand\' on that is to add another PC running another install of Giga.
    You could network the midi via Midi Replicator, and maybe even use the network to keep one pool of gig files for the two versions of Giga.
    My 160 note machine is pretty basic by today\'s standards - PIII800 running 98se and 1gb ram.

Chandler, Arizona

I would say you need 5-6 Giga machines to use the current libraries to their fullest.

1 or 2 - Strings
    1 - Percussion
    1 - Harp/Piano
    1 - Brass
    1 - Woodwinds

Each machine would need at least 1 GB of RAM.

10-11 machines.

2 string, 2 brass, 2 choir, 1 percussion, 1 winds (2 on performances with extensive wind writing), 2 other things. Depending on my mixing preference it would either be a 48 channel mixer, 24/32 in to another computer.

anyhhow. This is with mainstream libraries.

With custom edits I can bring alot of this down.

Its mostly due to both poly count (layering) and jsut sample count (RAM)

with custom mixing of libraries into one sample and specific programming additions I can cut this down pretty much to half.

One horn gig compared to 4 makes a huge difference. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

add to that only 2 dynamics that I need for most of the orchestrations I do. Knock out custom processing and release trigger additions, and mixing becomes easier....and poly count goes back up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    [QB]10-11 machines.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Does Tascam have a special multiple-instance license deal, or do you have to buy a full license for each machine?

Originally posted by Z6:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    [QB]10-11 machines.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Does Tascam have a special multiple-instance license deal, or do you have to buy a full license for each machine?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Come on guys? What\'s the deal with using multiple instances?

How did you pay? Is it a package deal, or did you have to pay for each instance license separately?

I\'m sure someone from Tascam can answer but seeing as a lot of you have such setups, perhaps you could give us the skinny?

I believe you have to purchase one \"Additional Site Key\" per additional PC in your studio. Such a key for GigaStudio 160 is $349, as shown on the NemeSys Music Products page (under ACCESSORIES).

You need to buy more site keys :0

I said that would be my \"ideal\" set up. I\'m basing it in the real world too. I dont have this setup [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If I didn\'t base it in the real world? hmm Id have to think abou that one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys (Pat, I know, I know, I should look up the pages).

That price sounds OK, but I would have thought they might look into a sliding scale (I got my original and only copy of Giga 160 cheaper than that). I\'m not about to rush out and buy three or four more computers, but I\'ve found that I have accumulated quite a few machines in the past. A new mobo, some cheapo RAM, a coupla hard drives and Bob\'s yer uncle. At last, a use for those old skeletons (maybe, sometime).

Does anyone else sell the site keys? Through various discounts, I was able to get GS160 for just under $350, so the thought of paying the same price for a license key doesn\'t sit easily with me. Still, I\'ve been thinking about the ECS motherboard that Simon Ravn recommended and would love to put Sonar 2 and GS160 on separate machines (they\'re like my two boys who want to read the same Blue\'s Clues book at the same time, but not with one another). If I can buy a site key for $200-250, I might be persuaded to build the second system (and explain to my wife why I, a lowly hobbyist, would \"need\" it). Of course, I could always transfer my existing GS160 license to the second system, but I\'d like to have two copies, in case I need the extra polyphony or a place to keep the less demanding giga instruments.

Go Back to forum