• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Ultimae Timpani vs UOP

Share/Bookmark

Ultimae Timpani vs UOP

Can anyone tell me how much better the Ultimate Timpani are than the timpani in UOP?

Re: Ultimae Timpani vs UOP

45%??? Uhm well it\'s hard to say. They sound very different, as they use another type of \'skin\' (or whatever the term is), AFAIK. The number 1 reason I think you should really consider getting Ultimate Timpani is that there are left/right hand samples as well as hand stopped samples. You could also look into LOP - I just ordered that so I can\'t tell you anything about the timpanis there yet.

Thanks for the reply Simon. Any chance you could email me a short MP3 or two? I\'d really really appreciate it as there aren\'t any on the DSSoundware website at the moment...

asymonds@tig.com.au

I believe you can find the LOP demo at www.bigfishaudio.com

I am working on some new timpani demos and we should have them up pretty soon. Personally I really like the LOP timpain a lot myself.

Donnie

I have LOP and ult. I can say that they are both great. I am using the LOP at the moment on a piece as I write it, and I find that I am reaching more for the timpani as the tone is wonderful.

However, when I do the final mixdown, the ult is more granular for solos and for getting the small nuances in playing...great for solo\'s and for chamber music.

And don\'t believe anything about ROLLS you hear on the forum with the LOP. They work excellant.

Which of the two libs are recorded hotter? I am getting tired of having to record timp performances and normalizing to bring up the volume, or wasting a mixer channel to attenuate upwards.

GREAT question Doyle!!

I\'d be very interested in the answer too. UOP I always have to record the midi performance to audio and normalize. It\'s a great sound but it always gets lost in the mix, needing the boosting.

Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Which of the two libs are recorded hotter? I am getting tired of having to record timp performances and normalizing to bring up the volume, or wasting a mixer channel to attenuate upwards.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Which library are you talking about? The levels on both a pretty hot however we do NOT normalize our samples. To us, it\'s just not natural to the sound to take something you have recorded and then normailize it for the program.

just my 1 1/2 cents

Donnie

Not sure what you mean there, Donnie. Normalizing should not alter the sound at all except to make the overall sound louder. You may also make any noise louder too by normalizing, but if you can get a good noise signature, you can eliminate all noise and still not alter the quality of the instrument sound.

Go Back to forum