• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How much can you load with 512mb ram?

Share/Bookmark

How much can you load with 512mb ram?

Since I don\'t own any particularily LARGE libraries, like GOS and SISS, VoTA and the likes, but would like to buy a new string library to be driven on a dedicated \"strings gigabox\" with 512mb ram, I\'m wondering:

Is it necessary to buy 1gb of ram ? I\'ll be running windows 98se.

How much of say, GOS, can I load with 512mb ram?
    (I\'ll be using all 64 midi channels)

Thomas

Re: How much can you load with 512mb ram?

Hey Thomas,

As far as I know, having more than 512 Mb with 98SE isn\'t gonna make much difference. You can still load 4 Gb of samples.

Good luck!

Chris

From Nemesys,
    The approximate relationship between ram and the number of samples which can be loaded (which determines how big a library you can load) is:

032 Megs RAM....216 mono\\ 108 stereo
    064 Megs RAM....500 mono\\ 250 stereo
    128 Megs RAM...1200 mono\\ 600 stereo
    256 Megs RAM...2500 mono\\1250 stereo
    512 Megs Ram...5000 mono\\2500 stereo

Don\'t forget that the OS and other utilities may need some of that 512mb.

I would recommend using 1GB of memory for GOS. I find 512 MB quite limiting on what I can load in. I usually mix lite versions in with the full versions. The lite versions still sound quite good. I sent a piece to Gary Garritan using the lite versions and he didn\'t realize I only used the lite versions!

Thomas exactly what model Motherboard will you be using with Windows 98SE. Also what will your cpu speed be on the Windows 98 system, lastly what CPU model will you be using, let me know as all of this plays a factor Oh and Soundcard?

Raven

Thanks guys, that\'s helpful.

Since I\'ll only be running Gigastudio on that computer I don\'t think I\'ll have any problems with other apps stealing ram, but it\'s good to be aware of the problem.

Thomas

One of my outboard GS computers is a 550mhz 512 meg mem, and even with AKAI converted libs, I can only get about eight or so instruments loaded and running for any length of time before GS loses its mind and crashes into a heap of random notes. Thank god for performance files...
    Of the large libs, it can only really handle the VOTA Angel choir, and even then I hear a few clicks and pops, probably creaking with the bloat... My 1.5 ghz, 512+256 mem computer can handle both (male or female) VOTA choirs, a few small instruments and the sequencer, but I get a sequencer studder sometimes: I usually put together the choir parts with minimum instruments, then record just the choir for later mix and playing in the sequencer. More memory and speed = fewer headaches.

Nah, Doyle,

Something must be wrong with that PC. I also have a P3/550 with 768 Mb. But I can easily get 110-130 poly voices and have loads of instruments in memory, including the better part of AO, some DD brass, selection of Gos strings, LOP, ... Can work with the Gst memory indicator at 98%...

This machine btw, also runs Logic along with Gst...

Maybe check and tune that PC again!

Cheers,

Peter

Raven; I read somewhere on the Hardware forum that you don\'t need more than an 800mhz AMD to get 160 voices of poly with Giga, so I\'m ordering a 950mhz AMD DURON (just to make sure)
    IBM 7200 8.5ms seektime Harddrive w/2mb cache
    Asus A7m266 Mobo (w/ata100 and DDR ram)

I might buy 1gb ram if it turns out it\'s necessary, but remember that this computer will only be used for strings (old akai string-libraries included)

If I got GOS I\'d probably only use the \"lite\" patches anyway. I\'m a firm believer in small libraries and stuff sampled in 3rds. I see too much bloated stuff around. Chromatic sampling is the biggest waste of precious system resources ever!

Thomas

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    If I got GOS I\'d probably only use the \"lite\" patches anyway. I\'m a firm believer in small libraries and stuff sampled in 3rds. I see too much bloated stuff around. Chromatic sampling is the biggest waste of precious system resources ever!

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thomas,

I was wondering about the GOS Lite version and your last replied make me think that this Lite version could be something very valuable without the problems of dealing with heavy samples. Do we loose so much when to compare with the original version in term of quality ?

Serge

Go Back to forum