• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rock Demo - Comments please.

Rock Demo - Comments please.

Well, this is a short 45 second (735k) demo that represents where I\'m at as far as creating a virtual rock band. As a few of you know, the quest for decent guitar sounds has been a journey of mine for some time. This demo was put together in a very short time period. The mix is too hot, the vocals too loud, etc. I\'m more concerned with your thoughts on the sound as a whole, more than if you like my singing or the song itself. Be honest, brutle if needed. But your comments are very important to me. Thanks..

p.s. I had to use my son\'s free account for web space!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] LOL

Re: Rock Demo - Comments please.

The drums were the weakest thing to me (go figure [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

They just seemed way too much in the front and too static. I\'m guessing there were only a few velocities that you were pulling from if any...right?

As someone well known said to me, the drums can never be too loud. However, never use cym during vocals: it slashes right across important frequencies, like voice... And they sound wrong, perhaps too much treb EQ. Overall, a good start: I like it. Lets hear the whole schlong.

You are correct about the drums being in front. For the music style I am attempting to do, drums will be a driving force. I normally alternate snare hits for a more realistic sound. But I \"forgot\" to do this on this demo. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The toms were recorded dry with 0 effects or post processing.

While there are plenty of rock songs that feature a riding splash sound in a verse or chorus, I do agree with your comments that it was too pronounced in this demo. Perhaps an open hi-hat would sound better. Thanks for the encouraging comments.

Soo...are you guys telling me the \"guitar\" sounds were ok???? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ok, vocals were not too up front imho, for this style they sounded right at the good spot, i am listening through 50$ headphones but i sometimes use them as a cheap reference. Drums are too dry for this style and way too up front, not enough bass and open Hi-Hat is way too loud and you need to cut some top end off.

All in all i\'d have to say i\'m impressed for this style you\'re pretty close at sounding like the real deal, good job [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Franky,
    Thank you for your comments. Hmm.. I just listened to a couple of reference tracks compared to my demo and you are correct, the drums need to be placed toward the back a bit. And yes, they are totally dry. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"... i\'m impressed for this style you\'re pretty close at sounding like the real deal, good job...\"

This comment...means...ALOT!!! Thank you.

Chandler, Arizona

I have to agree with everyone about the drums being to dry and too up front - mostly the cymbals and toms. The guitars and bass sound quite good!

Hi Munsie,

Sounds good to me. The Ride Cymbal sounds \"not so good\" I suggest you find a drum loop CD with a soloed ride loop - I have plenty of them. Then cut up the loop in slices and use them as ride cymbal. I have often done this with hi-hats too. I think you will like the sample CD: Groove Masters Drums - great library.(cool toms too)

And put some reverb on the toms!

Are you singing yourself? Cool...

Hi Thomas!
    Thank you for taking the time to check out the demo. Your suggestions sound cool, but I\'m afraid a tad bit over my head. I\'ve never sliced up any loops or made any custom samples, yet. I will look into the cd you suggested though. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Technically I\'m alternating between two cymbals every other hit. I have a zillion cymbals from several libraries. I will experiment more.

I have alot to learn about using reverb. I stopped using it because it made everything sound so far back and \"spacious\". I prefer a dry studio sound, but looks like I took it too far. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yep, that\'s my nervous shaky singing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds good Munz.

I pretty much agree with everyone.

The drums do sound too dry.

Scarbee\'s suggestion for the cymbal is THE ONLY way to go when riding a cymbal IMO.

You\'ll never get a good live sound with one shots when you try and emulate that type of playing. It will always bee too loud and harsh, and be too accented.

About the guitars. You\'ll fool most people with this, however I\'m not sure I like the tone. It sounds sort of boxy and slightly...I\'m not sure...phasy?... Are you doubling with the same sample but two different amp tones?

I\'m not sure what it is.

Anyhow, jsut goes to show you, with a little bit of work you can get samples to sound pretty \"real\"

Go Back to forum