• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Doublebass samples

Doublebass samples

Hi folks,
    Why don\'t any of the doublebass samples that I\'ve heard i.e. (Garritan\'s, VR\'s), sound anything like they sound in a real orchestra? I have a doublebass, and I tried micing it about 2\' away, and got the same bad effecto. Then I tried distant micing, as far as out of one room and down the hall, and it sounded even more pathetic. Finally I tried sticking the mic in front of the f hole, and I came up with the best result, but one that may prove to be too muddy.

Can anybody tell me how they mic basses in a real orchestra? Maybe someday I\'ll produce the holy grail of doublebass samples. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Doublebass samples

It has to do with the room you are recording in, the mic(s) you are using and of course the player [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don\'t know how they do it with film scores, but in our local orchestra they mic the bass group with a ribbon mic hanging from the floor pointing approx. 45 degrees downwards.

The sound of the bass group in that traditional classical orchestra has a lot to do with the hall.
    Usually the stage is hollow (which helps resonate the sound and spread (and boost) the bass frequencies around) I would say that this is very important for the orchestra to sound good (not just the bass group)

Since my dad plays double bass I\'ve sampled him a lot, and I know what problems you have encountered. Record it in an orchestra hall and the problems will go away, more or less. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Still I think close miced basses can be useful sometimes. Especially with chromatic updown bursts of 16ths (to avoid muddyness) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You don\'t tell us what mic and preamp you are using.

\"You don\'t tell us what mic and preamp you are using.

Thanks for the info. I was using a royer sf-12 stereo ribbon mic with two modified grace preamps and running them through my ad8000 to my motu 2498 MK HD recording system.

The place where we practice our music has great acoustics, I just haven\'t had the opportunity to use it for my self yet, and I don\'t know if I ever will.

Rick D.

Ah... finally I found a mate... I do have this monster, too... ;-)) Never tried to mic it myself, perhaps in future... but what you never have to forget that you mostly here the basses in context with celli, and celli play often same notes only an octave higher. Hmmm... I never saw play only one double bass player in a orchestra... Except me at school [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The section sounds different. Solo is another thing... (Carneval of animals [don\'t know the right term here] as example for solo)
    And I saw mic\'s set like a drum mic on the bass. But you\'ll need the distance, too, to capture the hole sound.

Moi j\'utilise la doublebass à l\'octave du dessous pour simuler de la profondeur. Je la mixe à droite.Si tu as la collection advanced, je te conseille de superposer les effets de Doublebass. Mais pas sur toutes les notes.

Le résultat fonctionne bien.
    Démo \"Doublebass\"

what\'s the \"mic\" ???
    Sorry, i\'am french [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

How helpful...

J\'aime l\'enregistrement que vous avez fait. Il semble très agréable. Est-ce que vous avez écrit cette belle musique? Quels échantillons est-ce que vous avez utilisé? Un \"mic\" est un microphone.

I like the recording that you have made. It sounds very nice. Have you written this beautiful music? What samples did you use? A \"mic\" is a microphone.

Hold this thought! \"... but what you never have to forget that you mostly here the basses in context with celli, and celli play often same notes only an octave higher. Hmmm...\"

Now pay attention developers, it is true that the double bass is usually played with the celli\'s an octave higher, so here is my request for a sample ensemble: The double bass and celli\'s being played _together_ in an appropiate acoustic space, mic\'d with/without AMBIENCE please. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

And may I recommend that you choose musicians and a place that you would be able to use in the future for future updates in articulations, for a price. Hence, expandable sample librariies.

How many sample users out there have a library that they like, but would be willing to pay for additional special articulations that were spectrally equivalent to your original samples?

I think this concept of expansion for a library would be a wise approach for all sample libraries. Let\'s face it, we can always add something to our musical pallets in terms of variance to all of the articulations, whether it be as simple as the amount of bite put on the string at the beginning of a bow stroke, or the variation of speed of the stroke.

Just a thought,

Thank you!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Yes I wrote this music with the collection Adv.orchestrat (solo - Together - percussion effect). I did everything with my sampler S-5000 and a reverb m-one. The piano comes from the collection utlimate.

thank you for the translation, that simplifies me the life [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum