• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does anybody have a Hammond Novachord?

Share/Bookmark

Does anybody have a Hammond Novachord?

What a great-sounding instrument. Wierd and wonderful, and totally non-portable (well, maybe the Telharmonium has it beat!) it is almost impossible to keep one running long enough to perform on it.

But it seems a natural for sampling. Has anybody tried it? Does anybody care?

If you\'re interested, let me know,I can post a demo of a real Novachord master at work doing \'Tea for Two\' in a REAL thirties style!

But I\'d love to have a Novachord library if it exists.

Dasher

Re: Does anybody have a Hammond Novachord?

As a self confessed Hammond nut, I\'d love to hear of of these things too. I have a pal who fixes them when they go wrong; I\'ll have a chat with him to see if he has one I could sample.

Tarkus.

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    ...But I\'d love to have a Novachord library if it exists.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe you could get in touch with Native Instruments and see if it is possible to do a tonewheel set for the B4?

The Novachord is not a tonewheel device. It was all tubes and hand-made capacitors - the actually had what they referred to as \"capacitor pans\" where caps were constructed by had by adding the dielectric material until the result was within the acceptable range for that particular cap.

This month\'s Keyboard magazine has a great article on the evolution of the instrument, and I have some samples I found on the web of several old 78\'s that had been posted-I copied them, ran them thru several de-noisers, and sent them back to him, but I think the site has been removed. Don\'t know if it was for legal or personal reasons, the tracks were from the 30s and are certainly not available anywhere else.

Dasher

Check with Joseph Rivers at www.keyboardmuseum.com. He may have one, or know where you can find one.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum