• Register
  • Help

Topic: Darkendorfer Piano - Novice has a quick question

Share/Bookmark

Darkendorfer Piano - Novice has a quick question

Fumbled my way throught the darkendorfer edits in order to make my Steinway B sound a bit better, but I\'m afraid I must ask a really stupid novice question...What exactly is a mod wheel? Is it internal to gigastudio or will I find it on my Roland RD-500? Does it have another name? Please forgive me, I am still used to acoustic instruments. Thanks for any help.

John

Re: Darkendorfer Piano - Novice has a quick question

Hmmm...not sure, but I believe it is internal to Gigastudio and lets you play in any mod...I prefer Phrygian myself. Good luck, John!

Thanks Kip.
    The problem I have is that nothing on my keyboard seems to say the exact words Mod Wheel and I don\'t know enough to figure out what it is. I figure it must be some button I hit and then manipulate the properties of the darkendorfer using the slider.

At any rate, I\'m going to re-read my Roland manual tonight and hopefully figure out where everything is. Sometimes there are just too many buttons on these things. Thanks again.

John

On the Roland ther is probably a slider assigned to control MOd Wheel Control Data (cc1)

Its probably the same one that controls vibrato on your Roland Patches.

Try moving that fader/slider around when you play the \"darkendorfer\" patch.

Just called Roland and apparently my keyboard has no mod wheel. It has a pitch bend but that flips back into position automatically. The only thing I can do is get an expression pedal for it. Does that sound right to you or are they putting me on? Thanks again for the responses so far.
    John

Originally posted by TEMPS:
    Just called Roland and apparently my keyboard has no mod wheel. It has a pitch bend but that flips back into position automatically. The only thing I can do is get an expression pedal for it. Does that sound right to you or are they putting me on? Thanks again for the responses so far.
    John
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sound right to me... I do not believe they are putting you on.

Kip

There were two primary controllers on early synthesiaers. The pitch wheel, which was a wheel-shaped controller allowed the player to bend pitch (if this were part of the patch being played) and snap back to center (off) when released. The Mod Wheel, usually to the right of the pitch wheel, was a controller that sent MIDI Continuous Controller message #1 to the synth. It was designed so down (toward the player) was OFF (value=0) and away from the player increased the value. It had no spring, so it would stay where you placed it, enabling the player to add a touch (or a LOT) of LFO vibrato to a sound-a favorite effect of the Giga forum users! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Roland, in an effort to distinguish itself from \'the pack\' established a controller years ago that replaced the pitch wheel with a side-to-side bender that incorporated a \'feature\' that allowed the player to push the lever forward (toward the back of the keyboard) to add the Mod Wheel effect. They also added a spring to this, so it was no longer possible to set any amount of control without holding the lever.

Today, Roland supplies both controls on some of their higer-end products, but the combo control continues to harass us to this day. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Best solution, if you want that ability, is get a different keyboard. Otherwise, just add another MIDI widget that will do the job.

Good luck.

Dasher

A mod wheel is a controller feature, which is found on most keyboard controllers, just as a pitch wheel, sustain pedal, ribbon controller, and breath controller, are controllers as well. The functions of various controllers are programmed into the sampled instrument. Any number of different functions can be programmed into the sampled instrument for a mod wheel controller, or any other controller as well, such as vibrato, filters, etc. If no particular controller function is programmed into a sampled instrument, then the mod wheel is of no benefit for that particular sampled instrument.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Go Back to forum