• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A million dollar idea for a new sample utility program

Share/Bookmark

A million dollar idea for a new sample utility program

Here is a million dollar idea for a new sample utility program. Since I am not a programmer, I can\'t program it myself. So magnanimously I have decided to give my idea to humanity and let anyone else develop it who wishes to. All I ask is that you send me a free copy after you have programmed it.

Called SampleMaker, this program can import a recording of some famous soloist playing a work for 1 melodic instrument alone--for example, Jean-Pierre Rampal performing Debussy\'s Syrinx for solo flute, or Jascha Heifitz\'s performing J. S. Bach\'s Partitas for solo violin. Then SampleMaker analyzes the audio and separates each individual note into a separate WAV file. SampleMaker then organizes all of the WAV files according to duration, volume, attack, vibrato, etc. By pitch shifting, it manufactures any missing pitches per octave--and then automatically transforms all the WAV-files into sets of GIGs.

With such a utility program, we could make sample CD\'s not merely of the flute or violin, but the flute as played by Rampal, or the violin as played by Heifitz. With such sample CDs, we could even produce recordings of Rampal and Heifitz performing concerti they never played while they were alive!

Regards,
    Alkan

Re: A million dollar idea for a new sample utility program

This is not april 1st, but still I assume you\'re kidding....

Another example of what software can do to man

If we\'re shooting for the moon, why not make the programme able to extract audio from fully polyphonic pieces

That idea sounds like full blown sample piracy to me!!

I\'m working on it!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Easy now... I think the guy was kidding anyway If not, it was a funny post nevertheless.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I MAY have been kidding about the sample utility program, I was informed yesterday by a country musician I know that in Nashville now there is a recording engineer who is hard at work, attempting to accomplish manually what SampleMaker would do automatically--on vocal tracks fom his extensive collection of Elvis records. This engineer intends to put together an album of new songs sung by Elvis by extracting, editing, filtering, processing and pitch-shifting each word and note from old recordings. He thinks that once RCA hears his demo and sees the profit potential of an endless supply of new songs by Elvis, he can work out a copyright deal for permission. BTW, I gather the working title of his album is \"I\'m still here!\"

Regards,
    Alkan

Easy now... I think the guy was kidding anyway If not, it was a funny post nevertheless.

If he\'s a REAL engineer, and knows what most engineers know about extracting vocals from full mixes (let alone the subsequent headaches of trying to match keys and tempos by sticking phrases through something like Acid etc.,), he\'s also a fruitcake

check out www.celemony.com
    They are releasing an interesting audio ap called \"Melodyne\" that your idea reminded me of.

Go Back to forum