• Register
  • Help

Topic: Leos Janacek: Fanfare (from Sinfonietta)

Share/Bookmark

Leos Janacek: Fanfare (from Sinfonietta)

Dear friends,

on 3.July there was Leos Janacek's 160th birthday. As a tribute I worked on a revision of my earlier rendition of hos "Fanfare", the first movement of the "Sinfonietta".

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...nietta-fanfare

The other 4 movements of the Sinfonietta are still on my list of works to be completed...

Re: Leos Janacek: Fanfare (from Sinfonietta)

I like Janacek and I like this fanfare which I never heard before.
    As always, your work is great. If I could have some suggestion, it would help if you would have more stereo widening. Now it sounds to me that all the players are in a tight bunch, maybe sometimes you hear the left a little more.
    I hope you know I am voicing my own feelings and you are the only one who decides how your work should sound.
    It sounds wonderful right now, waiting for the rest.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I like Janacek and I like this fanfare which I never heard before.
    As always, your work is great. If I could have some suggestion, it would help if you would have more stereo widening. Now it sounds to me that all the players are in a tight bunch, maybe sometimes you hear the left a little more.
    I hope you know I am voicing my own feelings and you are the only one who decides how your work should sound.
    It sounds wonderful right now, waiting for the rest.

Ted
    Thank you very much, Vanya, for your suggestion regarding the stereo balance!
    I will have a look regarding this. Just to note: there are 9 independent trumpets, sometimes three of them play the same notes. I did space them around from left to right, but I may need to separate them more. There are also other brass instruments, which play in pairs. I arranged them left-right, but maybe it is better to have the pairs closer together and place them in location contrast to the other pair(s).

I did now upload a revised version, as I was not happy with the balance of the instruments. I did now in the revision change the emphasis of some of the instruments, to make them stand out better.

Yessss,

Much better (for me)

Ted

Yessss,

Much better (for me)

Ted

Great

But now I have uploaded another revision... hopefully that is even better. I tried to bring out a bit more the mutual play between the instrument groups, and I have revised the stereo placement of the instruments. There should now be some more left-right distinction of each instrument.

Also I did tone down the reverb a bit, and removed some attacks which were too sharp.

Even better.
    I think all of us are in the same problem that we are listening too long to our creations and get deaf to obvious shortcomings. Some experts are suggesting no more than one hour at mixing or mastering, then at least a half hour without sounds....
    I tried, and found that it was an incredible difference after a half hour to hear what became obvious wrongs. Now this is my way and it works.
    You did a great job changing this...

Ted

Even better.
    I think all of us are in the same problem that we are listening too long to our creations and get deaf to obvious shortcomings. Some experts are suggesting no more than one hour at mixing or mastering, then at least a half hour without sounds....
    I tried, and found that it was an incredible difference after a half hour to hear what became obvious wrongs. Now this is my way and it works.
    You did a great job changing this...

Ted

Yes, that is indeed a very good idea! I also stop noticing obvious problems when listening too long... That is why the work is never done; I always come back to my "renditions" and notice things that could be improved. Well, this will keep me busy

Go Back to forum