from RME WEBPAGE

\" Performance when using GSIF and ASIO simultaneously

The performance of simultaneous GSIF/ASIO operation can be much better as it is now, even when using a Hammerfall (which uses no CPU copy routines to achieve the smallest possible GSIF latency). The reason for the bad performance is Gigastudio, which increases the priority of the process msg32.exe from \'normal\' to \'realtime\'. A small decrease to \'high\' will immediately improve audio performance (less crackling and drop outs) and MIDI timing. The Hammerfall then can be used with two steps lower ASIO latency.

How can one change the priority of a process? You\'ll need the freeware PrcView
http://www.teamcti.com/pview/

This tool shows all active processes and their priority, and also allows to change it in realtime. Start GS, load the sounds, start ASIO (Cubase etc.) and change the priority of msg32.exe from \'Realtime\' to \'High\'. Much more comfortable is the program gsfix.exe
www.inet.hr/~nsiskov/GSFIX.htm

from Nenad Siskov (who discovered this effect), which does this change automatically. Note that it is shareware at this time.\"

I´ve downloaded pcrview and tried all priority modes for msg32.exe on my PII 350, 256 RAM LAWG4.5.

Results: better midi timing with less priority, but also more crashes. I would like to know yours, and some ideas on this.