• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Festiva Fanfare

Share/Bookmark

Festiva Fanfare

Festiva Fanfare for brass. Thank you for taking the time listening and commenting.
    ~Rod

Re: Festiva Fanfare

Love it! When I see words like "brass" or "fanfare", I get very excited, and this sure did not disappoint! It would be very exciting to hear this live - hope you get some takers.

What software/instruments did you use in this rendering?
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Rod: I have to ask. Is there specific software you used to create the YouTube piece with sound and scrolling score? How did you do that?

I enjoyed this piece. The rhythms, harmonies, melodies, and orchestration are catchy. The piece felt a bit too long for me. I bet if you tighten it up a bit, it would be eminently more publishable. Did you consider adding percussion?

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

That was fun to listen to.

I like the brass sound that you've got there; also curious which sample library(s) you were using there as well.
    -- Matt Wong

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Love it! When I see words like "brass" or "fanfare", I get very excited, and this sure did not disappoint! It would be very exciting to hear this live - hope you get some takers.

What software/instruments did you use in this rendering?
    Thank you, my friend! I have sent this fanfare in to an ensemble so hopefully I will "hear" something soon. I used CineBrass Core with Finale.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Rod: I have to ask. Is there specific software you used to create the YouTube piece with sound and scrolling score? How did you do that?

I enjoyed this piece. The rhythms, harmonies, melodies, and orchestration are catchy. The piece felt a bit too long for me. I bet if you tighten it up a bit, it would be eminently more publishable. Did you consider adding percussion?

Art
    I used a snipping tool to create pictures of the score by taking a screen shot, then I used Windows Live Music Maker (free) to line it up with the music. It only took about 15 minutes.

I do understand why you might think the piece is too long: you hear the trumpet soli two times, the repeats, the shout chorus happens twice and the trombone solo last 24 measures where just 8 might suffice, but I still personally feel that each section moves forward building tension to the next section. I might though, for fun, make a reduce version but I know I will miss the sections cut out.

You are not the first person to ask about percussion. I did actually start, but the Latin grooves started to make the piece sound cheesy. I may though go back and try again. What percussion instruments would you personally recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    That was fun to listen to.

I like the brass sound that you've got there; also curious which sample library(s) you were using there as well.
    Thank you, I just hope the brass players think it's fun also. I fear the horns are going to hate me though... again. The sounds are CineBrass Core which still has some major weaknesses. No legato trombone ensemble, the tuba and bass trombone are together so you can not have a true low mellow sound, the solo horn is a weakling at loud dynamics, the sounds are overpriced, and to get trombone and tuba solo plus mutes you need to spend another $300+ for CineBrass Pro.

I used a snipping tool to create pictures of the score by taking a screen shot, then I used Windows Live Music Maker (free) to line it up with the music. It only took about 15 minutes.
    Just for my own clarification, it's Windows Live Movie Maker, right?

What percussion instruments would you personally recommend?
    I might consider adding snare drum, bass drum, suspended cymbal, and crash cymbals. I might also consider, sparingly, maracas and tambourine. As an aid to publication consideration (and the realities of rehearsals and performances), you could add these instruments and then indicate that the percussion is optional.

On listening a few more times, I'm backing off the idea of cutting--a little. I think you should still give that consideration, though, from a publishing acceptability standpoint.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Yes, Movie maker. Hehe, I must have music on the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    On listening a few more times, I'm backing off the idea of cutting--a little. I think you should still give that consideration, though, from a publishing acceptability standpoint.

Art
    Here is a reduced 3'30"ish version, but I did not reduce the trombone solo.
    mp3:https://app.box.com/s/98bshvrtppaxnn4ag21b
    score:https://app.box.com/s/de8brb830l9eq8ua0x1k

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast