• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is FAT32 or NTFS better for Direct from Disk streaming?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Is FAT32 or NTFS better for Direct from Disk streaming?

Hi Denny, this question has come up a few times. Neither file format is significantly better for audio than the other. A couple of things to consider though...

- NTFS is fractionally slower than FAT but is more stable, gives you more security options.

- NTFS used to be better for large file partitions but I\'m not sure that this is the case anymore. FAT32 has come a long way...

- If you have a file (samples) drive with an NTFS partition, you wont be able to put it into any Win 9x operating system. Only NT/2K/XP and soon... Longhorn. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott.

Is FAT32 or NTFS better for Direct from Disk streaming?

I just bought a 160 gig drive for Vienna SL using Kontact and I\'ll need to chop it up a bit. Any file system or partitioning recommendations for performance?

thanks!
    -denny-

My experience has been that Xp with NTFS works MUCH better than Win 98 with Fat 32.

Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    My experience has been that Xp with NTFS works MUCH better than Win 98 with Fat 32.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Absolutely. I\'m happy with the audio performance using XP and NFTS

Go Back to forum