• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Choral Attempt

Share/Bookmark

First Choral Attempt

The sample is without doubt wanting musically. However, it is my first attempt at using a digital approach to choral text performance. It is 0439 in the morning and I have to crash for a few hours - it's been a very very long day.

Tomorrow (later today) I will delve into learning how to clean up text and all the rest.

https://app.box.com/s/uqtozlpo71dvnrk6t148

Tom

Re: First Choral Attempt

Now, that is interesting. What program are you using to create the digital text?

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

That's impressive, Tom. Sleep tight!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

[QUOTE=wrayer;757906]Now, that is interesting. What program are you using to create the digital text?

Best regards,
    Bill[/QUOT

Hi, Bill,

This has been a long haul. The software is EWQL Symphonic Choirs which includes male and female choirs, a boys choir and three soloists. This short sample is done with the full sectionals SATB and softened by the "Dark Abby" room option, and written in Finale 2014. No DAW. I was told by several people that I could not use EWQLSC as a VST plug-in with Finale and would have to switch to Sibelius notation software. I received it as a gift from a former student along with the VOTA extended choirs package.

If you go on the web you will find an overpowering number of people that say the Wordbuilder part of EWQLSC simply does not work at all. Yes. It does.

I was also told by an endless stream of people that EWQL customer service was next to zero and that I would be throwing my money away. That simply said, was not true. I wrote to them 3 times and had answers within an hour or so each time. While they seemed dubious about using it in Finale, they went to considerable lengths to help me find a way.

After finally getting it loaded I came to realize that digital singing is a whole new world of things to learn. A whole new world of things to discover. Now that the issue of getting it to make noise in Finale has been successful, I am settled in to learn a lot more.

Tom

Tom:

Seems like you are on a crusade to get a choir as real as it can get in digital form and I think you are making great headway. The short example you provided sounded really convincing for a digital choir. I look forward to hearing more of your creative efforts with your choir.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Tom,

You might have seen this already, but just to be sure, here's a thread from the Finale forum about using SC with Finale.
    http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=431374

You will probably also have to create some custom HP preferences so that Finale sends the correct midi information to SC.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Tom:

Seems like you are on a crusade to get a choir as real as it can get in digital form and I think you are making great headway. The short example you provided sounded really convincing for a digital choir. I look forward to hearing more of your creative efforts with your choir.

Jack
    Thank you, Jack,

Most of what I write is choral in nature. As with Garritan software, it will be fun to add voices and words. But these are baby steps so far. It's going to be a long haul..

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner View Post
    Tom,

You might have seen this already, but just to be sure, here's a thread from the Finale forum about using SC with Finale.
    http://forum.makemusic.com/default.aspx?f=5&m=431374

You will probably also have to create some custom HP preferences so that Finale sends the correct midi information to SC.

Good luck
    Jeff,

Thanks for your input. I had found that particular forum and it was one of the few places that indicated using EWQLSC was even possible in Finale.

No one was more surprised than I when suddenly at 0400 in the morning my computer sang to me for the first time.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    The sample is without doubt wanting musically. However, it is my first attempt at using a digital approach to choral text performance. It is 0439 in the morning and I have to crash for a few hours - it's been a very very long day.

Tomorrow (later today) I will delve into learning how to clean up text and all the rest.

https://app.box.com/s/uqtozlpo71dvnrk6t148

Tom
    Hallelujah!!

Raymond

Very impressive! I've been following development of word-capable choir software with some interest, and this is a fine demo of what is already possible.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast