• Register
  • Help

Topic: Loops & Inconsistant playback in Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

Loops & Inconsistant playback in Kontakt

Hello All,
    Is anybody using ZeroX Seemless Looper (PC) and then bringing the samples in Kontakt and then noticing that sometimes the loops don\'t play back at all?

I\'ll give you an example....
    I was working on a rather large sampled instrument.
    I thought all my loops were fine that I created in ZeroX before bringing them into Kontakt.
    When I checked the .nki program I noticed that E1 had no loop on it.... that\'s odd I thought... I guess I missed that one! I open up the same .wav file in ZeroX and sure enough it is looped and plays back fine!

So I do as \"save as\" and overwrite the original sample, bring it back into Kontakt and the loop now plays fine. I did NO editing at all... just a SAVE AS and an overwrite.

Any clues? It seems that Kontakt is not seeing the loop markers in this particular file.
    Now if this were hapenning CONSISTANTLY, perhaps I could figure out what the problem is. But it seems to be an inertmittant problem which is absolutley MADDENING to me!

This is only one instance of this kind of happenning over the last 2 months of working with loops in ZeroX and Kontakt. I\'m having to check every loop in Kontakt and finding at times some loops just are not converting into Kontakt while others are.

Any insight.... King, Martin, anyone?

Thanks! Dennis

Re: Loops & Inconsistant playback in Kontakt

I\'m having this problem with a current 24 bit .wav files as well. But I\'ve also had the problem with 16 bit files too.

What is strange is Kontakt does show there is a loop in the file (highlighted in orange). But it doesn\'t play it back.

Now the default setting when importing looped files into Kontakt seems to be \"UNTIL END\". When I change this setting to UNTIL RELEASE(which seems more correct, it still does not loop).... while other looped files show the orange loop marker, and are set to UNTL END, they loop fine. It\'s just REALLY inconsistent.

So now at this point in time I have to go into this big multi sampled instrument and play each sample for it\'s full duration just to see if the loops are going to play back. I can\'t just look at the loop editor and know the settings are correct and that it WILL or WON\"T loop.
    Sounds like
    a fun afternoon... no? I\'m finding the information provided to me by the loop editor to be not all all reliable in terms of showing me what is going on with loops!

I\'m just wasting all sorts of what could be \"productive\" sound design time and I am quite frustated with Kontakt at the moment.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

from what I know so far about sample editors which can store loops in samples (wav or aiff) most of them store the loops in a different way. Peak for example handles loop points differently than Wavelab. I don´t really know exactl where the problem is. Have you tried to use the \"resore sample loops\" function in the edit menu of the mapping editor ?

Best,

Martin

Hi Dennis,

from what I know so far about sample editors which can store loops in samples (wav or aiff) most of them store the loops in a different way. Peak for example handles loop points differently than Wavelab. I don´t really know exactl where the problem is. Have you tried to use the \"resore sample loops\" function in the edit menu of the mapping editor ?

Best,

Martin

Hi Martin,
    Thanks for your reply ... \"restore sample loop\" seemed to fix whatever the problem was.

What I then did was just to resave the .nki file. I quit Kontakt and then relaunched Kontakt. The sample still played back correctly. So I am assuming from this that it is not necessary to resave all the samples as well after doing a \"restore sample loop\" command... is that correct?

Also another odd occurance....
    I have a mf, ff and velocoity switch version of this sample set. When I loaded up the ff version - I was able to audition each sample to see which ones were not looping and make a note of the problem. But every time i loaded the mf samples and I depressed the lowest sample (D1) Kontakt would crash (this is on a PC) and i would get that wonderful Microsoft message \"Kontakt.exe has encountered a unexpected error, sorry for the inconvenience etc.. shall we send a report to Microsfot?\"

Now the first few times this occured I thought it was a problem with my Kontakt configuration, maybe I needed to reinstall kontakt etc. But i later came to the conclusion that this one particular sample - if you triggered it made kontakt crash.

SO.... I brought that one sample back into ZeroX Seemless looper and did a resave and overwrote the sample(no loop editing of any kind). Brought that resaved file into Kontakt and it worked fine and no longer crashed kontakt. I\'d have to be a detective to figure out why this was the case. Do you have any clues as to what is going on here?

As I\'m sure you know it is very time consuming to sit here and listen to each sample to see if it\'s loop will play back correctly in kontakt (especially on samples where the loop kicks in after 12 seconds). So I\'m thinking instead of doing that just automatically doing a \"restore sample loop\" on any looped samples to be sure Kontakt will play the loop... it seems to work so far.

Thank you for your help!
    Dennis

Hi Martin,
    You can pretty much ignore my previous post about \"restore sample loop\" solving the problem with sample loop playback in Kontakt.
    I\'ve been working with some Granular soundfiles and have found it still to be a problem in a very inconsistant way.
    I don\'t know what to say, but it is extremely frustating.
    One word of advice to those of you doing sound design on the PC platform and bringing looped samples into Kontakt.....
    Check EACH sample loop to be sure it\'s actually looping.
    Previous to the last year or so I\'ve been doing all my sound design work on a Mac.... I never had this type of inconsistentcy problem with audio files.
    The PC is SO attractive because of the bang for the buck as well as having a great deal more software to choose from, which augments my software that I already have on my G4. For example ZeroX Seamless looper has a \"level equalizer\" that even Infinity on the Mac cannot compare to... it\'s a invaluable tool.
    I have a PC which is quite a bit faster than my G4 Mac.... I \"thought\" it was saving me time working on the PC.
    But now I\'m finding I\'m spending a great deal of time being a quality control detective and am finding it REAL frustrating.
    Maybe I should just return to the Mac platform.

Sorry for the whining guys.... I\'m gonna spend a few days in the Mountains and air my head out!

Dennis

Go Back to forum