• Register
  • Help

Topic: Minirhapsody

Share/Bookmark

Minirhapsody

Sorry, could not think any other title..
    All GPO and after some study on mixing and mastering, quite unusual for me
    Ted
    https://app.box.com/s/gv7uvn92xz7v5b311awc

Re: Minirhapsody

Ted,

This is an extremely powerful piece of music in subtle way, quite cinematic in nature. I listened through it three times this morning. Each time finding more and more to pique my musical curiosity. Very, very well done.

Tom

I did not expect any response to this posting, so I did not even look at it until today.
    Thanks Tom for your comment, it is very valuable for me.

Ted

I think the introduction works well and the flauti at 01:51 and other highlights are well placed. We (perhaps) all like to think people will recognise the influences in our compositions, and I detect several in yours, from the "galant" era up to the romantic period. That's mainly a result of the choices of harmony, particularly well-chosen in the introduction and again immediately before the end of the piece. I also rather like the horn entry at around 04:08 - it, again, is at just the right moment. Clearly it's a work which involved quite a bit of thought, working it out. Nicely done.
    Rendalli

Thank you Randalli, and my apologies to answer your kind remarks this late, but I gave up on this piece, and did not believe anyone would listen.
    Thanks again, you helped me ...

Ted

That's very nice, Mister Ted. I like your horn work near the beginning and at the conclusion. Very majestic.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best,

Larry Alexander

Hello Ted, Lovely piece. I enjoy the themes and harmonies you have going on here. I would make 2 small adjustments:1. Too much reverb! The whole piece sounds like it's drowning. 2. The horn solo sounds really harsh. Try and mellow that out a bit. It sounds like you just need to work the midi a bit more. Thanks for sharing! Michael
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Hi ted,

So glad to hear another marvel from your hand and East-European brain. That influence is unmistakably present in the choice of themes and minor harmonic scale. Wonderful. It is indeed very powerful and loaded with emotion (which I always like) and expression. It's born in your very soul!
    Still I agree that there's too much reverb. It makes the magnificent piece a bit muddy and it loses clarity. The powerful horn passages are brilliant, though a bit too loud (to compete with the dominant reverb?). And it could be my ears, but most of the stereo spread is situated left. That makes it even more compact. I would try to reduce the amount of reverb, the tail duration (reverb time) and spread the instruments' balance more (mainly the strings). You will see: a clear gain of presence and directness.

Thank you for such a lovely piece of music!
    Max

Hello Ted,

I enjoyed listening to your Minirhapsody. I got a a feeling of tragic romanticism throughout and the brass added power to the piece. Very nice music.

As far as the mix, it does seem a little too wet over-all. One trick I learned on this forum years ago is to try using less verb on the lower register instruments to help eliminate muddieness and give the brass a little more verb than other instruments.

Phil

Go Back to forum