• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Disaster

Share/Bookmark

Disaster

Sadly my main computer with all the various music programs, libraries, etc. has failed. I do not know yet if I will replace it.

Tom

Re: Disaster

OMG!!!

I hope you will consider getting it repaired or replaced. It would be a real loss to the music world not to have you here.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

That's a bummer.

Hope you still have your music saved away somewhere, whether it be backups or on paper (or both!). And if it's not the hard drive that has failed, then you can recover the files at the least. Also hope you can keep on writing music too... I'd been looking forward to what you could come up with for the choirs!
    -- Matt Wong

Rich, Matt -

Thank you for the kind words. If all else fails I have lots and lots of staff paper.

Tomorrow I am going to replace the mother board and terabyte drive and see if all the drivers will work. If that works, I'll upgrade to 12Gb RAM to be able to more effectively run the EWQL Symphonic Choirs.,

If that fails I plan to contact Sweetwater and see what kind of a deal they would be willing to make on a 250 computer.

I'm not sure that I could swing the cost, but it's worth looking into. The really frustrating part is that I've contracted with a local theater group to premier the re-write of my musical Summer Streets and need to create a pit orchestra arrangement really fast.

I did NOT need this frustration.

Oh well, upward and onward.

Tom

Owtch! Sad that it happened, but it did serve to remind me to copy all my pending works over to the backup storage.

Hope you can get it back in time.
    Cheers,

Kevin F..

KM Frye- (SOCAN)
    Music Director- Four Seasons Musical Theatre- 2016

Bella Vista Studios
    Canada

GPO4, JABB3, Garritan World Inst, REAPER, Roland VS2480 DAW

Quote Originally Posted by BVstudios View Post
    Owtch! Sad that it happened, but it did serve to remind me to copy all my pending works over to the backup storage.

Hope you can get it back in time.
    Something good almost always comes from every disaster. Make those back-ups, guy. You never know when the ax will fall.

Tom

Re: Disaster - ya; just gotta laugh

I got the computer home and it seems to be working fine. But 5 hours later my monitor bit the dust.

Think someone or some entity, is telling me to hang it up?

Not necessarily, How old is the monitor? Is it a digital monitor or an older analog? A new monitor is not overly expensive these days. I really feel sad to hear all the problems you are getting hammered with.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Not necessarily, How old is the monitor? Is it a digital monitor or an older analog? A new monitor is not overly expensive these days. I really feel sad to hear all the problems you are getting hammered with.
    It was an HP 2905b - 2 years 1 month old - exactly 30 days after the warranty ran out. I did a look around the web and found literally hundreds of owners who had exactly the same problem - just after the warranty ran out the screen begins to flicker and then dies. Oh well - maybe next month.

For the moment I can use my little laptop to get e-mail and other silly things. But it doesn't have nearly the power to run the music programs.

Tom

No, it's not a sign. :P

Conincidences? Out of the five computers which I purchased for the office about 5 years ago or so, three of them bit the dust, and on a fourth the network interface crapped out... all within the space of a couple months. I'm really hoping the remaining survivor doesn't have anything happen to it...
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum