• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan - Open platform?

Share/Bookmark

Garritan - Open platform?

While reading this site, I am struck by the ingenuity that the pros have with making GOS do what they want it to; I, on the other hand, am a struggling weekend hobbyist. I would love to have access (and even eventually contribute to) a *registered-user only* (to protect Gary\'s copyright) respository of people\'s favorite modifications? I understand this poses serious issues for Gary, but perhaps there is some solution, like a simple macro language or some way that new layerings, envelope settings, etc, could be shared without actually moving any samples around? I am also Giga-dumb, so perhaps this already exists. I suspect that I am not the only one who would benefit; we could all avoid re-inventing the wheel when so-and-so has already found the perfect tweak for this passage of this orchestral piece, etc.
    Suggestions?

-Eric

Re: Garritan - Open platform?

If you\'re thinking of changes to settings within the gig files, as opposed to changing the wavs themselves, then .art files (articulation files) would be the way to do it....

Eric,

The Garritan site will soon be adding a page for articulation files. It will probably be divided into two sections: One for official update/maintenance files and one for user-contributed files. One of the differences between the two sections will be: The official files will be supported and the user files will be offered \"as is.\" I am now preparing the first official files for posting. We will make an announcement when the page becomes active. This is the next step in the process of making G.O.S. an evolving library. Over time, I expect this to produce an interesting (and, I hope, useful) assortment of modifications.

Tom

Tom et. al. -

Thanks for the reply. I don\'t yet know what an articulation file is, but I\'m guessing it represents instructions for the assembly of samples into a patch. I look forward to being able to participate in the community you are creating.

-Eric

Tom,

I cant wait to see these expansions of the garritan web site. I bought GOS early on and I love it.

I once suggested to Gary by email that he should make available the midi files that were used to generate the mp3 demos on garritan.com. This would be tremendously helpful for a number of us, as it is always better to experiment from something. I can\'t imagine that this would create any \"legal\" problem , and these files must exist somewhere.

What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    Eric,

The Garritan site will soon be adding a page for articulation files. It will probably be divided into two sections: One for official update/maintenance files and one for user-contributed files. One of the differences between the two sections will be: The official files will be supported and the user files will be offered \"as is.\" I am now preparing the first official files for posting. We will make an announcement when the page becomes active. This is the next step in the process of making G.O.S. an evolving library. Over time, I expect this to produce an interesting (and, I hope, useful) assortment of modifications.

Tom
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Eschalit,

A good idea and I do think that this would be a very useful thing to offer G.O.S. users at some point. I personally would have no objections to posting any demo material I have created (or will create) as MIDI files so long as the material isn\'t intended to be used by me for some other compositional purpose. Others who may contribute official demos in the future will, of course, have to make up their own minds about releasing their demo compositions in MIDI form.

Things are still a bit busy here with updates, development on other platforms, and the upcoming NAMM show, so please be patient. Eventually, I\'m sure this will happen in some form.

[This message has been edited by Tom Hopkins (edited 11-12-2001).]

Go Back to forum