• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best computer for GOS playing

Best computer for GOS playing

Hello everybody,

I\'ve just bought the incredible GOS (Gary, I\'m gonna send you my registration number this week ). But I have a little problem.
    I\'m working on a Dual PIII-1Ghz with 1Gb RAM and RAID-0 and SCSI 29160 HD. Everything under winXP Pro. I\'m using VST32 with Halion 1.1, but I\'m not able to get good performance playing GOS sounds, so I\'m gonna buy another system with Giga inside connected with ADAT to my workstation.
    Could anyone help me with the best configuration (hardware&software), for full 160 polyphony in GOS? What motherboard, RAM, proccessor and soundcard (I think hammerfall 9636 is a good one) should I buy for no problems?
    And one more thing, I\'m using a midisport 4x4 for control my external devices, but I don´t have free midi outputs to connect it to the other computer with GOS. What could be the best option for connecting both computers with midi?
    Thank you very much.

Re: Best computer for GOS playing

Hate to sound like a broken NemeSys\\Tascam record, but I have experienced the least pain when I get a Dell machine. When I use something else...Pain! If you like fancy rack mount computers, Sound Chaser is the other place I reccomend. I\'m a two note song as far as computers for Giga, Dell or Sound Chaser. You need a Pentium III or IV 1000 or faster and for this libary, a gig of RAM will be good. You could probably load the entire ball game with a couple of these computers. For usb MIDI interfaces, (though these aren\'t ideal) I have had the best luck with MOTU. Otherwise, ISA, Printer Port or PCI interfaces will be a bit faster. Hopefully someday, firewire MIDI interfaces will come out big. You need your biggest MIDI interface on your large sequencing machine and then you can run 4 MIDI ports to the GigaStudio MIDI inputs. (you need an interface with 4 MIDI ins of course to use all 64 channels)
    Those 64 channels per machine are coming in real handy. I now have a huge \"Zimmer\" like template with one MIDi track per instrument with 300 tracks now. I just need some extra Giga Computers to play some of these parts.
    I have dedicated a smaller machine to nothing but the Garriton GigaHarp. I named it after him.
    Hope this info helps.
    Take care

Go Back to forum