• Register
  • Help

Topic: Horror strings

Horror strings

I\'m composing music for a suspense film, and would like to get an opinion on what series of string samples would offer the best instances of suspensful loops and psycho string effects. I\'ve heard kirk hunter is good for this, but what about garritan?

Re: Horror strings

I would suggest Tremelo Strings played an octave apart. I\'m putting together a Herrmann cue at the moment, just for fun and I\'m using that technique. Works wonderfully.

GOS has Trem patches for 1st Violins, Violas, Cellos and Basses.

Hope that helps.

Holy Hauntings batman!!!

Any of the Avante Garde Samples, The FX samples, Glisses,Below the bridge bows, Ponticelli tremelo, below the Bridge pizzi, glissandos. Lots of dusonant voicings (lots of Minor Second intervals) with the non vibrato sustain samples. Use Marcatto and Spicatto samples for the hard Psycho type attacks, and pay them with grace/ghost notes. I dont have KH srings but I think GOS would blow away KH for horror/suspense with all these options.

Really...I am an Idiot

All those listed effects in GOS are perfect for suspense. Also the various gliss samples really help. This library covers it all pretty well!
    David Govett

Go Back to forum