• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quick poll on my new song

Share/Bookmark

Quick poll on my new song

I wonder if I could ask your opinion. I recently posted my original song "I could have been beautiful". To my great surprise, a couple of people mentioned that they actually liked my hideous caterwauling, sorry, singing.

I've posted three versions - one with me singing, and another two with two different singers (Marri Nallos and Eric Yanis).

Which do you like best - Marri, Eric or me?

Listen here: https://app.box.com/s/autlo9ofqf7giqptjlkv

No need to listen to all of each version, of course - just enough to decide.

Many thanks for your help!

Instruments used:
    Piano: GAS
    Strings: From Dimension Pro.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Quick poll on my new song

All of them are good and much better than I could do by FAR. I still vote you!!! The female is good, but I think your voice matches the song the best and pours the most emotion through the voice IMO. So, I vote you, Owen! Thanks for sharing this and very beautiful work. You will have to teach me how to sing one of these days.

Regards,

Richard

Still, I insist: YOU.

Ted

It is you for a variety of reasons, but the main is that I like your voice the best.

You have a voice like most people have, nothing special at all.
    What makes us vote for your singing is the emotion you are projecting, the emotion which made you to write your song.
    So, please do not think that we are crazy to prefer your singing to the two other accomplished singers.
    We just hear your beautiful thoughts creating it through your otherwise uninteresting, average voice.
    You are a lucky, talented person with excellent projection of your feelings...
    We are lucky to hear it.
    Ted

I really like all three. Each has a distinctive and personal presentation of the words. Isn't it great how the same sentence can have a slightly different meaning just in the way a voice presents those words.

Your presentation has a closer more personal presentation. You project a bit different aspect to the words than the other 2 singers because they are a personal view of memories you have. That being said. The other two voices are a bit more trained and project with a little more professional development. I still like all three and all three are wonderful to listen to.

I do have a comment on the orchestration and mix thought (if I may). When the strings and horns come in, I would really like to hear them but what I hear is a lot of piano and indistinct sounds behind it. The voice level is fine (excellent, actually) but I really am not sure there is an orchestra playing or that I am imagining that I hear an orchestra playing. (It is probably my ears but I thought I should mention it.)

BTW - I REALLY LOVE THE SONG!!!!!!!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thank you all so much for commenting!

Richard: Not sure I can teach you to sing, but I can probably teach you how to use pitch correction, since that is mostly what you are hearing!

Ted: Thanks so much for clearly explaining what it is that you're all hearing. You are right - projected feelings can be more powerful than a polished voice. I just can't stand to hear the sound of my own singing, if you know what I mean.

Tom: Thanks for chiming in! I'm guessing you're hearing the same as Ted was talking about.

RichR: You've confirmed what Ted said. Thanks as well for the advice on the mix. I didn't want the strings to overpower the rest, but the fact that you thought there is a horn tells me that I definitely set it too low! (There is no horn, only strings - V1, V2, Vla, Vlc, Cb.)

I decided to submit both Marri's and my version to the publisher, presented as "male and female versions". I'll let you know if anything comes of it!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum