• Register
  • Help

Topic: who uses the "slide up"?

who uses the \"slide up\"?

who uses the \"slide up?\" do you use the keyswitch, mod wheel, or seperate midi channel?

Re: who uses the \"slide up\"?

I have tried to use the SlideUp samples a few times BUT getting the timing right has so far alluded me.

Any tips?

Chandler, Arizona

I always use the slide-ups on a separate MIDI channel. This gives you more control especially for balance.

I always use a seperate MIDI channel now.

I use a combination of CC11 and velocity control as well as moving the notes back to match tempo.

I have a few ideas about making the slides easier to work with. Possibly something I\'ll work on in the future and I\'ll share.

In all hohnesty a mix of both the slides and using real MIDI glisando of notes can be very realistic with the right amount of reverb and legato settings. Still I wouldnt mind having more options in the slide area, which is where those ideas come in

Really...I am an Idiot

OK, here are a few tips to use with the up slides:

1. As suggested above, use a separate MIDI channel for the SlideUp instrument.

2. Use the editing capabilities of your sequencing software to adjust position and velocity level of the slide to fit the correct position and level as closely as possible . In fact, everything to do with slides is best done in the sequencer through editing.

3. Use controller #11 to draw in “fade in” and “fade out” slopes, with the top of the slope determining the maximum level of the slide for a given velocity setting. Experiment with the speed of the slopes. A slope needn’t start at the beginning of the sample, you can enter later than that if you like. You may want to experiment with complimentary or overlapping cc#11 slopes in the sustain tracks as well to aid in getting the right crossfade blend.

4. Extra special tip: in the manual we suggest the possibility of reversing (in an audio editing program) the up slide samples to create an instrument of faux down slides – but there is another approach that doesn’t require much extra effort on your part. The SlideUp instruments can also be used for downslides if you make one editing change to the instrument and use a little “thinking outside the box.” First, the modification: Load the Long Bow file into the Instrument Editor and double click on the SlideUp instrument in the instrument list on the left. This will open the properties box for the instrument. Note that the pitchbend range is set to + or – 2 semitones. Start by changing that to “4.” Most of the slides are approx. 1 or 2 semitones in range. By applying descending pitch bend data (a descending diagonal line) in excess of the range of the ascending slide you can actually force the slide to descend. In other words, a 2 semitone ascending slide will become approximately a 2 semitone descending slide if you apply a descending diagonal line to the sliding portion of the note when the instrument has a “4” pitchbend setting. “4” is a good place to start experimenting but you’ll probably want to use a larger value. Larger values become more difficult to control. Keep in mind that the total descending compass of any setting in a given instrument will be less that the ascending compass because of the amount of pitch change present in the slide sample itself. Also, on a related matter, don’t forget that pitchbend applied to the slides can help you tailor them to the specific interval you need.

5. Slides are usually not easy to integrate seamlessly. Editing intensive work.

6. I’m sure KingIdiot will come up with something clever and useful later on. He usually does.

[This message has been edited by Tom Hopkins (edited 01-03-2002).]

One other thing while we’re on the subject: I’ve always thought this was rather obvious, but maybe not: You can use any of the sustain instruments and a few of the longer short bows to create pitchbend slides. Just make sure you put them on a separate MIDI channel and use the cc#11 and pitchbend procedures described in my previous message. Using this technique usually is more effective than applying pitchbend to the main sustain instrument, which almost always ends up sounding horribly artificial. Applying the pitchbend to a separate instrument on a separate MIDI channel gives you alot more options when adjusting and integrating the pitchbend slides. Most of the time this technique won\'t sound as convincing as real recorded slides, but it has the advantage of giving you a great deal of control over the interval and speed of the slide. Of course, different instruments will vary in their effectiveness in this application. Doing this and layering them with the real slides is another thing worth trying. There, that should keep you busy.

[This message has been edited by Tom Hopkins (edited 01-03-2002).]

Also, combining all of Toms above methods and anymore you can think of may help. Then in the mixing stage feathering them all in. This will give you multiple slide variations, that might help the realism.

I haven\'t tried this myself because I\'m pretty lazy,......but it could....and probably should, work

Really...I am an Idiot

thanks for the replies.

lots of options, but it sounds like it\'s not quite as smooth as described in the manual.

Actually you can get really good results with the crossfading slides, but it takes practice.

The other methods are jsut additional methods to get more options.

When I first started using slides I you get good results from copying the track and pasting it to a \"slide\" track and then jsut moving the track back a few ticks.

Still the more critical your ear the more methods you will need to try.

Really...I am an Idiot

Go Back to forum