• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thx

Share/Bookmark

Thx

I would like to send a \"thank you\" to Tom and KingIdiot.

So if I activate the proper \"tool\" I then I can choose between samples with controllers.
    The Maestro Tools also changes the MIDI data before reaching the actually sounds.
    Correct?

About LIVE-performances and Laptop.
    My idea was to use the GOS in a Musical Theatre Production where budget does not allow a full string orchestra.
    With the keyswitch-function you could write in every switch in the score and the musician just play normally even thou the samples are switching.
    A Laptop would make it easier to move this monsterSampler around.
    Imagine a 5 piece keyboard orchestra instead of a 60-piece string dito.With 5 keyboardist you can even do some pretty advanced string scoring.
    I do not know if the aural result will be satisfying, has anyone tried?

Any recommendations according woodwind and brass-libraries?

from Sweden with love

mikael

Re: Thx

Hi Mikael,
    You can actually do much of the keyswitching Tom described without using MaestroTools at all. When you want to switch between different articulations, this doesn\'t require Maestro since the combination of GOS and GigaStudio lets you do this pretty easily. However, there are some particular things you can\'t do with GigaStudio unless you use Maestro. Where GOS is concerned these things are alternation between up and down bowings, legato phrasing, and monophonic playing of lines. You were correct that Maestro changes and adds data to the midi stream to accomplish those features. Hope this helps-

OK, now that I understand your application I’ll make a couple more suggestions: Automated instrument switching could be most easily accomplished by:

1. Using the “Lite” keyswitched instruments. Keyswitch notes could be placed at specific timing positions in sequencer tracks to accomplish the switching automatically. Or,

2. Instead, using program change commands which can be used with any of the individual instruments including the larger, more elaborate ones. These program change commands could likewise be placed at specific timing positions in sequencer tracks. The entire library could conceivably be available for switching using this method (although the hardware demands would be considerable).

You could also place cc#7 data at the beginning of each track (corresponding to a particular MIDI channel) to set the overall relative levels of the instruments automatically. If you wish to give your performers continuous dynamic level control of the instruments (beyond EXP and velocity response) then cc#11 could be used for this purpose.

In a live situation you would probably forego the use of most of the detailed controllers (for attack envelopes, filtering, short bow length control, etc.) but a few would be very useful applied by the performers in real-time (this would be in addition to standard keyboard note-triggering and velocity response):

1. Mod Wheel control of dynamics for EXP instruments.

2. MaestroTools’ automatic alternating up and down bow mode for use with ALT short bows. This too could be automated by putting the keyswitch notes at the appropriate positions in the sequencer tracks.

3. Possibly, the sustain pedal control of the EXP LEG instruments, but in a live situation you may want to simplify things and choose to use just the plain EXP instruments for legato passages.

I’m sure you can experiment to determine which controllers you really need and which are superfluous in a live situation. Good luck.

Tom

One thing I forgot to mention about the laptop I\'m running is that it is a Toshiba Tecra 8200

The model and number are important if you want to use the computer without additional outboard audio gear, as the tecra 8200 use the older Yamaha Chipset that still has VXD drivers. I also must run 98SE on the laptop. Since XP doesn\'t support Direct Sound Drivers and only WDM.

If however you want to run outboard gear (reecomended for better quality audio), look into Tascam\'s 428, or Motu\'s 828.

As for the rest of what you are going to do, sounds like alot of fun

Search the main forum archives for Brass discussions, there are MANY of them but they will probably help. there are some woodwind talks as well.

------------------
    Really...I am an Idiot

Tom,
    In your reply you wrote:
    \"In a live situation you would probably forego the use of most of the detailed controllers (for attack envelopes, filtering, short bow length control, etc.)\"

I am a complete novice to GOS and GS. Can you give me a little insight into what controllers change the attack envelopes? Are you referring to keyswitches such as are used on \"1st Vln Basic KS Comb. Lite\" or something a little more playable? Can you direct me to any fast-bowed instruments in which MIDI note on velocity has a pronounced effect on attack?

-------
    Really..I am the bigger Idiot.

SPF,

\"I am a complete novice to GOS and GS. Can you give me a little insight into what controllers change the attack envelopes?\"

With the update, GPC-1 (cc#16) controls the attack envelope of all non-LEG sustain instruments.

\"Are you referring to keyswitches such as are used on \"1st Vln Basic KS Comb. Lite\" or something a little more playable?\"

Those are the ones. I would think that in a live situation something like foot switches sending program change commands would be easier to use.

\"Can you direct me to any fast-bowed instruments in which MIDI note on velocity has a pronounced effect on attack?\"

The library as programmed doesn\'t provide the option to tie velocity to the attack envelopes, but this is possible (and it is a fairly easy modification). I\'m planning on releasing some additional short bow options sometime after NAMM is over. If there\'s enough interest I could include this as one of the options (unfortunately, one has to pick and choose the features offered. Not everything can be built into a single instrument. Often it comes down to add something, lose something). In any case, if you feel you need this for your application, I could provide you with instructions on how to make the modifications yourself.

Tom

Thanks, Tom. Being new to GS, I keep forgetting how quickly I can do patch changes on the fly (e.g., not waiting for samples to load into RAM). Regarding the modifications to control attack using MIDI velocity, if it\'s something I don\'t pick up on quickly, I\'ll get back to you for some instruction. Thanks for the offer.

Go Back to forum