• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Guitar Suite

Share/Bookmark

Guitar Suite

This is my first time at writing for guitar. I am including 3 pieces from a suite I am working on for the Cleveland Classical Guitar Society. Having only minimum experience playing the guitar, this is a new venture for me. If there are any classical guitarist out there that would like to peruse the score to give me any helpful hints, I would appreciate the help.

I. El Conquistador

II. Flamenco Buleria

III. El Gitano

Enjoy the Spanish Flavors!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Guitar Suite

Bill,

Some very nice work here! This is for multiple guitars, yes? That wasn't clear from your post - if this is solo guitar music, well, it won't work; two or three, certainly. A lot depends on key, as the guitar is a very idiomatic instrument, and there is a huge difference between keys, and their playability.

I would suggest that you send your sketches/completed works to the performers to get feedback. The one thing that could be a problem are the scale passages - they can be difficult for guitarists, depending on the speed/velocity. If your players can handle it, they great.

Nice work - I hope you get a really good performance from them.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Bill,

Some very nice work here! This is for multiple guitars, yes? That wasn't clear from your post - if this is solo guitar music, well, it won't work; two or three, certainly.
    Nice work - I hope you get a really good performance from them.
    Sorry. yes it is for Guitar Quartet. I wasn't sure of the scales, but good guitarists should be able. They are passed from voice to voice (only one scale per player.)

I am also not sure of the chord voicings, I tend to use my piano technique to voice the guitar chords, and I know that is incorrect.

I can't send it to the performers, because it is going to be a 'blind' selection of the pieces they will play. Anonymous composer. He w3as always my favorite, him and Traditional!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill,

I could try and look at it. Are you forbidden from asking someone from the society? But I might have time to check it - you can get my email from my website in my address.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Bill,

I could try and look at it. Are you forbidden from asking someone from the society? But I might have time to check it - you can get my email from my website in my address.
    I can't contact them because it is an anonymous vote for the works they choose. I will get a pdf f the scores for you to see together. Thanks.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Here is the final movement of the Guitar Suite. It is a slow ballad and is called:

Los Amantes

This is written for 4 classical guitars (using the GPO Classical Guitar)

I might note that the order in performance will be:

1) El Conquistador 2) Los Amantes 3) Flamenco Buleria and 4) El Gitano

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I listened three times to all three. Apart from the titles of the pieces there is really nothing spanish about them. Wrong tempi, wrong accents, wrong chords, wrong scales. Sorry, but when looking at/listening to several others pieces from your hand, this was some unexpected disappointment.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I listened three times to all three. Apart from the titles of the pieces there is really nothing spanish about them. Wrong tempi, wrong accents, wrong chords, wrong scales. Sorry, but when looking at/listening to several others pieces from your hand, this was some unexpected disappointment.

Raymond
    Sorry, my friend, if you did not get the Spanish flavor. The first is based on: The Petenera, a flamenco palo in a 12-beat meter, with strong beats distributed as follows: [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10][11][12].

The second was based on The Bulerias. An interesting counting method has been used by Pepe Romero, in his book Classical Guitar Style and Technique, which is 2 measures of 3/4 time followed by 3 measures of 2/4 time. This puts the emphasis on the last beat of each measure:
    1 2 [3] 1 2 [3] 1 [2] 1 [2] 1 [2]When performed, the bulería usually starts on beat twelve of the compas, so the accented beat is heard first.
    It is played at about 240 beats per minute, most commonly in an A-phrygian mode, with a sharpened third to make A major the root chord. A typical rasgueado (a strumming pattern that sets the rhythm) involves only the A and B-flat chords as follows:
    A A [Bb] - - [Bb] A [A] A [A] - [A]

And the third one was based on The same as the first using the Flamenco Palo.

The Los Amantes is the only one I took liberty on and just composed freely.

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

That is exactly what I am saying. Learning from a book, applying all theoretical elements, getting the rhythm right and all accents on an irregular base, doesn't make it sound good. You can write down all notes, set the appropriate samples and articulations, but it has no soul. Too smooth, neat, classical, and all sterile. As we never can write great russian music, hungarian music (as it should, not the versions of Brahms), we just don't have their soul, there history, the daily songs over the radio, from our childhood until grownups. That's why the non-spanish classical composers write decent pieces but never touch the spanish "alma". Not even come close. Never. Nor you, nor I.

If you really want doing so, give your ideas to a talented virtuoso of spanish origin and let him play with them, improvise, changing, walking thru the chords. I have several CD's of spanish flamenco music and found out that two or more of the same songs (bulerias) with the same title, are played completely different. Just the same as giving some blues lines to different jazz players. None two interpretations of the same song are really the same. It is the language of the soul of the moment.

Flamenco music is pagan music (sorry for the word, I have no other for it). And it is beautiful, because it isn't written down on paper, it is written in the souls of those great players, Manitas de Plata, Paco Peña, the Romero-family and others. By the way, the word Flamenco is coming from the Flamish people (now Belgians, historical Dutch) who were invited at the Spanish courts to play and dance their songs, and they liked it so much that it became part of the spanish culture. Since then it developed into the music, you and I admire and love.

My two pesetas,

Raymond
    [PS On Youtube.... a wealth of examples!!!]

For those of you who like to compare the real with the Garritan Libraries, here are links to each of the guiter pieces performed by the Cleveland Institute of Music Guitar Ensemble.

El Conquistador

Los Amantes

Flamenco Buleria

El Gitano

The performance was recorded this past January. I just received the CD.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast